A portion of Ulmerton Road was closed for over an hour Tuesday after an overturned bucket of pool chemical ate a hole in the asphalt.
Largo Fire Rescue Chief Kelly Callahan said a five gallon bucket of muriatic acid spilled its contents into the road about 7:40 a.m.. Firefighters aren't sure where the bucket came from, but say it could have fallen out of a vehicle of any size.
The acid mixed with the petroleum in the road and created a small amount of smoke, gas and heat to rise up. It also bubbled up the road's surface, firefighters said.
Ulmerton Road was closed for about 90 minutes between Belcher and Starkey roads Tuesday while fire rescue, hazardous materials and Department of Transportation teams cleaned the spill and checked the road's safety, Callahan said.