TAMPA — A 39-year-old woman and her dog were rescued from a smoky Harbour Island apartment Monday night, even as the small dog attacked its rescuers, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.
At about 11:40 p.m., firefighters responded to the unit 1227 of the Post Harbour Place Apartments, 401 Harbour Place Drive. A man outside said the smoke alarm was sounding inside the second-floor apartment. He could smell smoke, but no one answered the door.
Crews entered through the balcony and found Susan Hasselbreck barely conscious in her bed. Rescuers said they do not think the smoke contributed to Hasselbreck losing consciousness.
As firefighters tried to carry her outside, her small dog started biting firefighter Angelo Santos-Martinez's hand, but the dog was too small to bite through Santos-Martinez's thick glove, Fire Rescue officials said.
As Santos-Martinez searched for other occupants, the dog found started biting him again. Santos-Martinez handed the dog to another firefighter, who carried it away.
Hasselbreck regained consciousness and was reunited with her dog, officials said.
Rescuers determined that a smoldering pot on the stove produced heavy smoke throughout the apartment and set off the alarm. There were no flames or fire damage.
Follow This Just In on Twitter.