Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Ruling on steamy text messages helps ex-teacher Stephanie Ragusa

TAMPA — Steamy text messages between a former teacher and two middle school students were illegally obtained by law enforcement officers, a judge ruled Thursday.

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Chet Tharpe ruled the records are not admissible as evidence in the court case against Stephanie Ragusa, the former Davidsen Middle School teacher accused of having sex with two students.

Prosecutor Rita Peters said her office is evaluating whether to appeal.

Ragusa's attorney, Robert Herce, described the order as "a major victory," one he plans to use as a basis to completely dismiss one of the sex cases against her.

"But for the unlawfully obtained text messages," Herce said, "they wouldn't have identified the second victim."

Ragusa, 30, has been in jail since April 2008, awaiting trial.

Herce argued that law enforcement officers found the text messages without a search warrant, in violation of constitutional law.

Police were investigating allegations regarding a 14-year-old male student when they discovered Ragusa's text messages with a second boy, 16, resulting in a second sex case being brought against her.

According to the judge's written order, sheriff's detectives arranged for the 14-year-old to text Ragusa and record a phone call with her — evidence used the next day to arrest Ragusa.

Four days later, Hillsborough sheriff's Detective Travis Valles asked for a court order compelling Sprint to release all of her phone, e-mail and text messages.

That's when detectives identified the second boy.

Though state attorneys argued the text messages would have been uncovered in the course of the investigation anyway, Tharpe wrote that the prosecution provided no evidence supporting that justification.

If the prosecution decides to appeal, state attorneys will have to ask before a judge has a chance to decide whether, at Herce's request, to dismiss the case involving the 16-year-old.

Additionally, Herce hopes to ask the court to release Ragusa on bail.

Tharpe said he would not consider letting her go without her attorney submitting his request in writing.

"File a motion," he said bluntly.

Ragusa kept a subtle smile on her face as she appeared before the court in French braids and her jail-issued orange suit.

Ruling on steamy text messages helps ex-teacher Stephanie Ragusa 02/04/10 [Last modified: Thursday, February 4, 2010 11:15pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Chemical industry insider now shapes EPA policy

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — For years, the Environmental Protection Agency has struggled to prevent an ingredient once used in stain-resistant carpets and nonstick pans from contaminating drinking water.

    This is the Dow chemical plant near Freeport, Texas. Before the 2016 election, Dow had been in talks with the EPA to phase out the pesticide chlorpyrifos, which is blamed for disabilities in children. Dow is no longer willing to compromise.
  2. Unforgiving wildfires affect vineyard workers and owners

    Nation

    SONOMA, Calif. — When the wildfires ignited, vineyard workers stopped picking grapes and fled for their lives. Some vineyard owners decided to stay and fight back, spending days digging firebreaks and sleeping among their vines.

    Wilma Illanes and daughter Gabriela Cervantes, 8, found their home intact, but had lost a week’s wages and sought aid.
  3. O'Reilly got new contract after big settlement

    Nation

    Last January, six months after Fox News ousted its chairman amid a sexual harassment scandal, the network's top-rated host at the time, Bill O'Reilly, struck a $32 million agreement with a longtime network analyst to settle new sexual harassment allegations, two people briefed on the matter told the New York …

    Bill O’Reilly was fired by Fox News after multiple allegations.
  4. Trump plans to release JFK assassination documents

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Saturday morning that he planned to release the tens of thousands of never-before-seen documents left in the files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination held by the National Archives and Records Administration.

    FILE - In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas. Riding with Kennedy are First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, right, Nellie Connally, second from left, and her husband, Texas Gov. John Connally, far left.  President Donald Trump, on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017,  says he plans to release thousands of never-seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination.  (AP Photo/Jim Altgens, File) NY107
  5. Water leak slows traffic in Westshore area

    Public Safety

    TAMPA –– A broken water main has closed the westbound lane of West Cypress Street between North Westshore Boulevard and North Ward Street. The city estimates the repairs will be completed by 7 a.m. on Sunday.