Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Search goes on for lost Malaysia Airlines flight

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Malaysia Airlines announced this morning that it had lost contact with one of its flights, which was carrying 239 people to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

The airline said it had activated a search-and-rescue team.

The Boeing 777-200 operating as Flight MH370 took off at 12:41 a.m. local time. (Kuala Lumpur is 13 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.) Air traffic control in Subang, a suburb of Kuala Lumpur, lost contact with the plane almost two hours later.

The airline issued its statement at 7:24 a.m. after the plane failed to arrive in Beijing; it had been scheduled to land at 6:30 a.m.

Malaysia Airlines said the flight had 227 passengers, including two infants, and a crew of 12. Airline staff members have begun contacting the families of passengers and crew.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all affected passengers and crew and their family members," the airline's statement said.

Malaysia Airlines said more than 150 Chinese and four Americans were on board.

Chinese officials expressed concern.

"We are extremely worried upon hearing this news," Qin Gang, the spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, said in a statement. "We are currently in contact with relevant parties and are doing what we can to understand and confirm relevant circumstances."

He added that the Foreign Ministry, the Chinese Embassy in Malaysia and the Chinese Embassy in Vietnam had begun emergency procedures.

China deployed two rescue ships to the South China Sea to search for the plane, CNN reported, citing state-run broadcaster China Central Television.

If the flight were traveling in a straight line, it would have been traveling north up the entire length of Vietnam and Vietnam's coastal waters. There was no immediate comment from Vietnamese authorities.

However, Vietnamese website VN Express said a Vietnamese search and rescue official reported that signals from the plane were detected about 140 miles southwest of Vietnam's southernmost Ca Mau province.

Chinese air traffic control authorities said the plane had not entered airspace that they control or established communications with Chinese air traffic control, according to China Central Television.

In the terminal at Beijing International Airport, where Flight MH370 had been due to arrive, a woman burst into tears while on a telephone.

Liu Meng, 26, said he had been at the airport since shortly before the flight's scheduled arrival time, waiting for his boss to return from a business trip. The boss' relatives had been calling Liu with questions, and, he said, he had nothing to tell them.

A Malaysian man who gave only his surname, Zhang, said that he had been waiting at the airport for two Malaysian friends on the flight but that the airport authorities had told him only that the flight had been delayed; he had learned of the aircraft's disappearance from reading about it on the Internet.

There have been two previous crashes of Boeing 777s. Last July 6, an Asiana plane came in too slow and at too low an altitude and crash-landed at San Francisco International Airport. Three Chinese teenage girls were killed, and several others suffered serious permanent injuries. So far it does not appear that there was a mechanical problem with that aircraft.

Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the 53-year-old pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, has more than 18,000 flying hours. The first officer, 27-year-old Fariq Hamid, has about 2,800 hours of experience.

Malaysia Airlines' last fatal crash was in 1995 near the Malaysian city of Tawau, killing 34.

Search goes on for lost Malaysia Airlines flight 03/07/14 [Last modified: Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:18am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Kenya opposition says it will challenge election in court

    World

    NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya's opposition will challenge the results of last week's presidential election in Supreme Court and wage a campaign of civil disobedience, its leader announced Wednesday, saying they intend to expose a "computer-generated presidency."

  2. Kriseman and Crist rally troops for final push in St. Pete mayor's race

    Blogs

    Elections have consequences. Donald Trump. Charlottesville.

    Rick Kriseman and Charlie Crist pose for a group photo Wednesday evening with progressive activists at Allendale United Methodist Church
  3. The FHP trooper behind quota on speeding tickets will resign Sept. 5

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — A Florida Highway Patrol official's call for troopers to meet ticket quotas has cost him his job.

    Major Mark D. Welch, Troop Commander of Troop H, wrote an email asking his employees that he wants them to write two citations each hour. "This is not a quota," he wrote. His resignation is effective Sept. 5. [Florida Highway Patrol]
  4. Plan your weekend Aug. 18-20: Elvis in concert, Jason Aldean, Monster Jam Triple Threat, Sing-Along Grease

    Events

    Plan your weekend

    The king

    Elvis: Live in Concert: This year marks the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, and Ruth Eckerd Hall will have a Graceland-produced Elvis concert on a movie screen, accompanied by a full live orchestra. Graceland calls it the closest audiences …

    Handout photos of Elvis: Live in Concert, a tour spectacle featuring a live orchestra backing the voice of Elvis Presley, projected onto a movie screen. The tour comes to Ruth Eckerd Hall on 8/18/17. Credit: Graceland.
  5. Woman convicted in murder of 18-year-old with cerebral palsy gets lighter term

    Criminal

    TAMPA — Linda Bonck, a 90-pound Chamberlain High School senior with cerebral palsy, lived near Tampa's Lowry Park. She struggled to walk and talk but was known for being friendly and trusting of strangers until she vanished one day in 1992.

    Georgia Miller, 39, was convicted for the 1992 murder of Linda Bonck, an 18-year-old Chamberlain High School student who had cerebral palsy. Originally sentenced to life in prison, Miller was resentenced Wednesday to 65 years, the result of U.S. and Florida Supreme Court decisions that found it unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life. With gain time, Miller will be released from prison in the next six years. [Florida Department of Corrections]