Two segments of Tampa's I-275 set for overnight closures
TAMPA — Drivers navigating the twists and turns of construction on Tampa's Interstate 275 may by now have those electronic signs warning of lane closures burned onto their retinas.
And there's still more than two years of construction left.
Among the latest warnings: Both directions of the interstate are set to be temporarily closed in two locations starting Monday. Traffic will be detoured as crews install overhead sign structures.
• Both directions of I-275 between Sligh Avenue and Busch Boulevard are scheduled to be closed early mornings, between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m., Monday through Wednesday.
• Both directions of I-275 between West Shore Boulevard and State Road 60 are scheduled to be closed between 11:30 p.m. Monday and 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Construction on I-275 is expected to be completed by fall 2016. Until then, drivers can anticipate more lane and road closures, said John McShaffrey, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Transportation.
There may be times when a lane closure is announced on those warning signs, but then not carried through as planned due to weather or equipment conditions, McShaffrey said.
But, for the most part, closures of the entire interstate are done as announced, he said.
"We have to err on the side of giving too much info instead of not enough," he said.
Drivers can get information on current traffic and road closures from the department's 511 Traveler Information System, which can be accessed online at 511news.com, by cellphone at 511 or through a free 511 smartphone application.
For information on upcoming closures being planned, go to mytbi.com.
© 2016 Tampa Bay Times
Drivers along I-275 in Tampa might encounter more than a dozen closures this coming week. Among them are:
• While the segment of I-275 near Sligh Avenue is closed for three mornings: Northbound detour: Traffic will be directed off at Sligh Avenue (Exit 48), detoured east on Sligh, north on Nebraska Avenue, then west on Busch Boulevard to re-enter northbound I-275. Southbound detour: Traffic will be directed off at Busch Boulevard (Exit 50), detoured west on Busch, south on Florida Avenue, then east on Sligh to re-enter southbound I-275.
• While the segment of I-275 near West Shore Boulevard is closed Monday night through Tuesday morning: For northbound I-275: Use Exit 39A to eastbound SR 60 (Kennedy Boulevard). Go east on Kennedy to West Shore Boulevard, then turn left onto West Shore and go north to the northbound I-275 entrance ramp. For southbound I-275: Use Exit 40A to West Shore Boulevard. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp and go north to Cypress Street. Turn left and go west on Cypress. Turn left to enter southbound I-275 after crossing under SR 60 (Memorial Highway). For eastbound SR 60 to northbound I-275: Continue past I-275 loop entrance ramp onto eastbound Kennedy Boulevard. Turn left onto West Shore Boulevard and go north to the northbound I-275 entrance ramp. For southbound I-275 to westbound SR 60: Use Exit 40A to West Shore Boulevard. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp and go north on West Shore. Turn left onto Spruce Street and go west to the westbound SR 60 ramp next to Tampa International Airport.
• The southbound I-275 Exit 41C ramp to Himes Avenue will be closed from 11:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. Detour: Use I-275 Exit 41A/B to Dale Mabry Highway. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp to go north on Dale Mabry, then turn right and take Spruce Street to Himes Avenue.
• The portion of southbound I-275 Exit 45A to Ashley Drive will be closed from 11:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Detour: Use the same exit, but branch right to Doyle Carlton Drive once on the exit ramp. Turn right onto Doyle Carlton Drive, right onto Henderson Avenue, right onto Tampa Street, and then right onto Tyler Street to Ashley Drive.
• Northbound I-275 Exit 49 to Bird Street may be closed from 12:30 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. Saturday and also Monday through May 3. Detours: Traffic will be directed to exit at Sligh Avenue (Exit 48), east on Sligh Avenue, north on Nebraska Avenue, then east or west on Bird Street.
Entrance ramps closing:
• The entrance ramps to southbound I-275 from Tampa/Kay streets and Ashley Drive will be closed from 11:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Detours: Traffic on Tampa/Kay streets will be directed south on Tampa Street, right on Tyler Street, merge onto Cass Street and continue west to N Boulevard, turn right onto N Boulevard to Cypress Street, turn left onto Cypress Street and west to Howard Avenue, turn right and go north on Howard, then turn left and use the entrance ramp at Armenia Avenue under the interstate. Ashley Drive traffic will follow the same detour, beginning by turning left onto Tyler Street.
• The Bird Street entrance ramp onto southbound I-275 may be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. overnight today, and Sunday through Friday. Detours: Drivers can enter southbound I-275 from Sligh Avenue, taking either Nebraska Avenue or Florida Avenue south to Sligh.
West Shore Boulevard may be closed under I-275 from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. If all lanes are not closed, expect one lane closed on southbound West Shore at I-275 from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. those nights. Northbound detour: Northbound I-275 to Lois Avenue (Exit 40B), north on Lois, west on Cypress Street. Southbound detour: East on Cypress Street, south on Lois Avenue, then west on Kennedy Boulevard.
• Both directions of N Boulevard may be closed under I-275 from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. Northbound detour: East on Laurel Street, then northwest on Green Street back to N Boulevard. Southbound detour: West on Main Street, south on Willow Avenue, then east on Cypress Street back to N Boulevard.