Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

For Florida, another quiet hurricane season

With hurricane season over — it officially ends today — it looks like Florida has skated again this year. The season produced nine named storms, three of which became hurricanes, but none that made landfall as hurricanes in the United States. Chris Landsea, science and operations officer at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, offers his assessment of the season.

Why such a quiet year?

I think the main reason is the El Niño that developed in the Pacific Ocean this year. We get an El Niño every four to six years and it … changes the global weather pattern. Some of them are nice, and some of them aren't so nice. The one beneficial aspect is the reduction in Atlantic hurricanes. You tend to get more windshear that disrupts the storms. … We've seen promising looking tropical waves but they would sputter or either not develop or barely develop at all.

How long is this El Niño expected to last?

It's not very predictable. … Most last just a year. The question is whether it will stick around for the 2010 hurricane season. Most El Niños last for a year, but we have seen others span two hurricane seasons. It's usually the ones that start a little late that get very strong. It remains to be seen if this El Niño causes two quiet seasons in a row.

Quiet, of course, can depend on where you live. Do you think our perception of a season focuses too much on hurricanes' impact on the U.S.?

Yes. You could have a very busy year like last year, but the folks in Florida were very fortunate because we did not have any direct impacts. If it's an active year, your chances of getting hit do go up. If you speak of a specific county or city, your chances of getting hit are very small. But if it's a quiet year, and that one hurricane hits your city or county — like Miami during the 1992 Hurricane Andrew — then it was the worst hurricane season you've experienced in your life.

What's a better measure of a season?

Just counting the number of storms can be very misleading.

We use something called "accumulated cyclone energy" (a measurement of the total activity of each storm, and the seasonal total of all storms).

Is this why the hurricane center's seasonal predictions now offer a possible range of storms instead of a specific number?

We're never going to get it exactly right. To provide that kind of precision is a little misleading, at least in our opinion. We express it two ways: One is a range, so this year we said there were 4 to 6 storms expected. We also give the chances of a quiet, average or busy year.

For this year, there was a 40 percent chance of a quiet, 50 percent chance of near average, and 10 percent chance of a busy year.

So much has been made in recent years about global warming's impact on hurricanes. How does that figure in with this fluctuation in storms?

Just like there were some who were misguided in saying the 2005 season (27 named storms) was a harbinger of global warming, there were folks on the other side who said the 2006 and 2007 season meant there was no indication of global warming. …

In general, Atlantic hurricane activity has been very busy since the mid '90s. … That's not to say I don't think there's any global warming influence. I do think hurricanes are being impacted by global warming, but it's a really tiny, tiny component. …

Even with a Category 5 hurricane with 175 mph winds, maybe 1 to 2 mph could be ascribed to global warming. But if that's the case, it's so small we can't measure it.

Andy Boyle can be reached at [email protected] or (727) 893-8087.

For Florida, another quiet hurricane season 11/03/09 [Last modified: Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. 'Empire' star Grace Byers keynotes USF Women in Leadership & Philanthropy luncheon

    Human Interest

    BY AMY SCHERZER

    TAMPA — The first University of South Florida graduate to address the USF's Women in Leadership & Philanthropy supporters, Grace Gealey Byers, class of 2006, centered her speech on her first name, turning it into a verb to share life lessons.

    Grace Byers, University of South Florida Class of 2006, stars on the Fox television show Empire. She delivered the keynote at the USF Women in Leadership and Philanthropy luncheon Friday. Photo by Amy Scherzer
  2. Southeast Seminole Heights holds candlelight vigil for victims' families and each other

    News

    TAMPA — They came together in solidarity in Southeast Seminole Heights, to sustain three families in their grief and to confront fear, at a candlelight vigil held Sunday night in the central Tampa neighborhood.

    A peaceful march that began on east New Orleans Avenue was held during the candlelight vigil for the three victims who were killed in the recent shootings in the Seminole Heights neighborhood in Tampa on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
  3. It's not just Puerto Rico: FEMA bogs down in Florida, Texas too

    HOUSTON — Outside Rachel Roberts' house, a skeleton sits on a chair next to the driveway, a skeleton child on its lap, an empty cup in its hand and a sign at its feet that reads "Waiting on FEMA."

    Ernestino Leon sits among the debris removed from his family’s flood-damaged Bonita Springs home on Oct. 11. He has waited five weeks for FEMA to provide $10,000 to repair the home.
  4. McConnell says he's awaiting Trump guidance on health care

    STERLING, Va. — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Sunday he's willing to bring bipartisan health care legislation to the floor if President Donald Trump makes clear he supports it.

    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he’s “not certain yet” on what Trump wants.
  5. Tampa's Lance McCullers shows killer instinct in pitching Astros to World Series

    Ml

    HOUSTON — It felt like the beginning on Saturday night at Minute Maid Park, the arrival of a new force on the World Series stage. The Astros are back, for the first time in a dozen years, and they want to stay a while.

    Houston Astros starting pitcher Lance McCullers (43) throwing in the fifth inning of the game between the Houston Astros and the Tampa Bay Rays in Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Sunday, July 12, 2015.