Thursday, April 19, 2018
Tampa Bay Weather

Heavy rains expected to leave Tampa Bay area later this week

A section of a northbound lane of the Suncoast Parkway near Brooksville was closed to flooding early Wednesday and scattered power outages were reported throughout the Tampa Bay area as heavy rains continue to pummel the region.

More than an inch of rain was reported in several areas.

Several traffic crashes were reported in the morning, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. One eastbound lane of the Gandy Bridge was also closed after two cars crashed about 7 a.m. Injuries were unknown early Wednesday.

In Clearwater, more than 2,000 customers were without power early Wednesday, according to Progress Energy's website. About 700 customers had no electricity near Dade City early Wednesday, according to Tampa Electric's website.

Minor flooding was reported in Cypress Creek at Worthington Gardens in Pasco County, where a flood warning was in effect early Wednesday.

The forecast looks cloudy and rainy on Wednesday, but the Tampa Bay area should expect clearer skies later this week.

"We've been seeing very heavy rain and some lightning with the storms this morning," said Bay News 9 meteorologist Juli Marquez.

A 50 percent chance of rain was expected Wednesday, Marquez said. As a storm system heads northeast, less rain was expected in the area, with a 30 percent chance on Thursday and 20 percent on Friday.

But as rain chances drop, temperatures will rise.

On Thursday, temperatures will be in the low 90s and move into the mid 90s by Friday, Marquez said.

Comments
Forecast: Scattered showers could dampen weekend plans across Tampa Bay

Forecast: Scattered showers could dampen weekend plans across Tampa Bay

Scattered showers and thunderstorms could pester Tampa Bay throughout the weekend, culminating in a peak chance of rain early next week.A small cold front will meander over the bay area by Friday afternoon but should have little affect on the area, t...
Updated: 3 hours ago
Forecast: Clear skies for Tampa Bay lead to a hot, humid and rainy weekend

Forecast: Clear skies for Tampa Bay lead to a hot, humid and rainy weekend

Expect warm weather, clear skies and a slight increase in humidity across Tampa Bay in the next few days, before an incoming cold front raises the chance for rain.Temperatures this morning are in the low 60s with a little bit of damp air. The dry air...
Published: 04/19/18
Forecast: Warm weather continues for Tampa Bay, but humidity and clouds are returning

Forecast: Warm weather continues for Tampa Bay, but humidity and clouds are returning

The temporary cool weather has come to an end as temperatures rise back up to the lower 80s by Wednesday afternoon. Morning commuters can expect temperatures in the upper 50s throughout most of Tampa Bay, according to the National Weather Service. Bu...
Published: 04/18/18
Dreaded ‘cone of uncertainty’ will shrink for the coming hurricane season

Dreaded ‘cone of uncertainty’ will shrink for the coming hurricane season

The National Hurricane Center plans to shrink the dreaded "cone of uncertainty" during the upcoming season based on an improving forecast record.The Miami-based center made the announcement Monday, along with a series of other changes intended to imp...
Published: 04/17/18
Forecast: Clear skies, abundant sunshine ahead for Tampa Bay

Forecast: Clear skies, abundant sunshine ahead for Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay will be warming up today and by the afternoon clear skies and sunshine promise ideal conditions without an abundance of humidity.But Tuesday morning started a little chilly with temperatures in upper 50s before sunrise. By afternoon, temper...
Published: 04/17/18
Forecast: Cool and windy, a day after tornado touches down in St. Petersburg

Forecast: Cool and windy, a day after tornado touches down in St. Petersburg

TAMPA — Now that Sunday’s powerful front — which actually spawned a tornado and several reported waterspouts — has moved out of Tampa Bay, the start of the work week brings sunny skies, but much cooler temperatures.This comes a day after the front ge...
Published: 04/16/18
Forecast: Tornado watch expanded to all counties in Tampa Bay

Forecast: Tornado watch expanded to all counties in Tampa Bay

ST. PETERSBURG — A tornado watch is in effect in every county surrounding Tampa Bay, and the region can expect thunderstorms and strong winds Sunday, which could make water activities dangerous.With a high of 83 degrees, the morning should be cloudy ...
Published: 04/15/18
Forecast: Warm, pleasant weekend for Tampa Bay before severe storms arrive Sunday

Forecast: Warm, pleasant weekend for Tampa Bay before severe storms arrive Sunday

The Tampa Bay area’s recent run of abundant sunshine and clear skies will extend into the weekend, but it will come to a screeching halt when severe weather sweeps in on Sunday morning.The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm war...
Published: 04/13/18
Hurricane names Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate being retired

Hurricane names Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate being retired

MIAMI — The names of four deadly hurricanes that slammed parts of the United States, Central America and the Caribbean last year are being retired.The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Thursday that hurricane names Harvey, Irm...
Published: 04/12/18
Forecast: Pleasant sunshine into weekend for Tampa Bay, but Sunday thunderstorms ahead

Forecast: Pleasant sunshine into weekend for Tampa Bay, but Sunday thunderstorms ahead

Today should be a little warmer and a bit drier than Wednesday as Tampa Bay continues to enjoy a mostly sunny end of the week.After a few intense thunderstorms on Tuesday left little humidity around the bay area, Thursday should see a perfectly dry, ...
Published: 04/12/18