Saturday, July 21, 2018
Tampa Bay Weather

Caribbean storm system could become Nate by weekend

The National Hurricane Center was tracking a storm system east of Central America that forecasters said had a good chance of developing into a cyclone.

As of Tuesday night, the large area of low pressure casting clouds over Panama and Costa Rica, named Invest 90-L, had a 40 percent chance of growing into a tropical depression over the next two days and a 60 percent chance over the next five days.

It will likely continue hugging Central America, moving north to northwest toward the Gulf of Mexico, which it could enter by the weekend, forecasters said. Conditions along the way are favorable to strengthening.

It was too early to say with any degree of certainty how that storm could impact the U.S., said 10Weather WTSP meteorologist Bobby Deskins Tuesday, but models suggest it could hit anywhere from New Orleans to Panama City as a tropical storm. Its name would be Nate.

Another tropical storm system was resting between Cuba and the Bahamas, but only had a 10 percent chance of development. Even so, the NHC said, it will bring heavy rain and strong winds to portions of the Bahamas and Florida as it moves west toward the Gulf.

"That is going to bring an end to this drier air that we've had, and it's going to bring back some heavier downpours Thursday and Friday," Deskins said for the Tampa Bay region.

Comments
High chance of showers, muggy conditions for Tampa Bay throughout weekend

High chance of showers, muggy conditions for Tampa Bay throughout weekend

It’s shaping up to be a warm and muggy weekend across the bay area with rain chances staying around 60 percent through the weekend.Much of the expected precipitation is coming to the area thanks to the combination of a southwestern flow bringing show...
Published: 07/20/18
Scattered afternoon showers to persist into the weekend across Tampa Bay

Scattered afternoon showers to persist into the weekend across Tampa Bay

A strong southwestern flow continues to drag scattered showers and thunderstorms from the Gulf. As the weekend approaches, folks around Tampa Bay can expect to see a familiar pattern: morning showers near the coast and, by the afternoon, stronger and...
Published: 07/19/18
Isolated thunderstorms to persists for rest of week across Tampa Bay

Isolated thunderstorms to persists for rest of week across Tampa Bay

The chance of rain is increasing for the second half of this week across Tampa Bay, starting Wednesday afternoon with the arrival of thunderstorms that could produce gusty winds and frequent downpours.A southwestern flow will dominate much of this we...
Published: 07/18/18
Thick humidity fuels sweltering conditions, increasing rain chances for Tampa Bay

Thick humidity fuels sweltering conditions, increasing rain chances for Tampa Bay

Scattered showers and thunderstorms are expected to pick up throughout Tampa Bay on Tuesday afternoon, along with continued blistering sunshine and high humidity.An increased chance of rain, around 60 percent, will continue throughout the week. A hig...
Published: 07/17/18
Forecast: Dry start to work week, but rain chances will build across Tampa Bay

Forecast: Dry start to work week, but rain chances will build across Tampa Bay

The work week will start of relatively dry across Tampa Bay, but rain chances will increase throughout the week with a chance of scattered showers and thunderstorms near 50 percent on Friday.Skies will be mostly sunny on Monday, with only a 20 percen...
Published: 07/16/18
Seasonal weather remains consistent across Tampa Bay through weekend

Seasonal weather remains consistent across Tampa Bay through weekend

Tampa Bay residents can expect typical July weather patterns Friday and heading into the weekend as warm weather and sunshine leads to possible afternoon storms.The National Weather Service has most of the storms developing inland during the afternoo...
Published: 07/13/18
Chris downgraded to post-tropical cyclone, will bring rain, dangerous surf to Canada

Chris downgraded to post-tropical cyclone, will bring rain, dangerous surf to Canada

Although Chris may no longer be a hurricane, the storm could still have a significant impact on weather both on the East Coast and Canada as it races across the Atlantic and toward Canada.Hours after being downgraded to a tropical storm, Chris was de...
Published: 07/12/18
Continued high humidity with increased chance for afternoon thunderstorms in Tampa Bay

Continued high humidity with increased chance for afternoon thunderstorms in Tampa Bay

It should be a sunny Thursday around Tampa Bay with partly skies and a 20-30 percent chance of rain by the late afternoon.Most of those storms will be driven further inland by the coastal breeze sweeping in from the Gulf of Mexico, according to the N...
Published: 07/12/18
Continued heat and humidity across Tampa Bay, and more rain this weekend

Continued heat and humidity across Tampa Bay, and more rain this weekend

The second half of the week will continue Tampa Bay’s slow trek through the dog days of summer with afternoon heat indexes surpassing 100 degrees.Expect a hot and humid Wednesday as highs reach 92, with high humidity making it feel more like 100-105,...
Published: 07/11/18
Hurricane Chris quickly strengthens, generates dangerous surf on path to Canada

Hurricane Chris quickly strengthens, generates dangerous surf on path to Canada

The second hurricane of the 2018 season has quickly strengthened into a Category 2 storm that is moving away from the U.S. but making a bee-line toward Canada and, eventually, Iceland.As of Wednesday at 5 a.m., Hurricane Chris was situated about 315 ...
Published: 07/11/18