TAMPA — As the temperature drops, the need for help rises at bay area cold shelters.
And blankets are not the only items they need.
"Lots of clients don't have coats," said Angelita Sapp, a case manager at the Salvation Army in Tampa. "They are walking out here in the cold without them."
Others need socks, sweaters and gloves, Sapp said.
Metropolitan Ministries, which serves more than 250 meals a night at cold-weather shelters in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties, needs non-perishable food. Money donations are also welcome. A $45 donation, which can be made online or in person, shelters and feeds a family for one night.
The list below outlines particular needs throughout the area:
• Bethune Park Rural Shelter at 5809 Edina St. in Wimauma needs gently used or new sweaters, coats and blankets for children and adults. Donations can be dropped off between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (813) 671-7618.
•Brandon Community Center at 510 E Sadie St. in Brandon needs gently used or new blankets, comforters, backpacks, coats, sweaters, hats, gloves and socks. It could also use hot chocolate mix, lemonade mix and breakfast bars. Donations can be dropped off between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (813) 635-8179.
• Metropolitan Ministries at 2010 N Florida Ave. in Tampa needs gently used or new blankets, coats, gloves, non-perishable food and volunteers. Call (813) 209-1000.
• Salvation Army at 1514 N Florida Ave. in Tampa needs socks, blankets, full-sized flat sheets and coats. Donations can be dropped off 24 hours a day. Call (813) 221-4440.
• In Pinellas County, there are 10 cold-weather shelters operated by the Pinellas County Coalition for the Homeless. They need new twin-sized blankets, gloves, hats, coats, paper goods and coffee. Donations can be made at the coalition office at 5180 62nd Ave. N in Pinellas Park or at each shelter. For information and a list of shelters, call (727) 543-2600 or go to pinellashomeless.org.
• In Hernando County, call Jericho Road Ministries at (352) 799-2912 for information on making donations.
• In Pasco County, call the United Way of Pasco County at (727) 835-2028 or go to united waypasco.org for information.
Reach Shelley Rossetter at email@example.com or (813) 226-3374