Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tropical system could bring rain, stormy weather to Tampa Bay

A large low pressure system in the Western Caribbean could bring heavy rain to the Tampa Bay area this week, forecasters said.

A worst-case scenario calls for weather approaching tropical storm strength, but meteorologists consider that unlikely.

It all will hinge on where a cold front now creeping to the south finally comes to a stop. The front will pull some of the system in the Caribbean to the north, but it's expected to dip far enough south to prevent tropical weather in the Tampa Bay area.

At this time of year, it's not uncommon for tropical systems to merge with cold fronts, said National Weather Service meteorologist Anthony Reynes.

But meteorologists expect the front to stall in the middle of the state, keeping the worst weather south of the Tampa Bay area.

"Right now, the evidence strongly suggests this front should make it to central Florida by late Tuesday or Wednesday," Reynes said.

Experts expect the low pressure system to become better organized, cut across South Florida and head into the Atlantic.

"It's just kind of a swathy system," said meteorologist Mike Clay of BayNews 9. "It will be kind of windy on the east coast.

However, if the cold front stalls north of the Tampa Bay area, "that changes the scenario. Then this low could get a little closer to our area," Reynes said.

"The only way it would be more significant would be if (the low-pressure system in the Caribbean) came into the Gulf," said Clay. "That would bring heavy rain and high wind.

"The greater chance is that it will kind of skirt across South Florida. If that happens, we'll be on the drier side."

BayNews 9 predicts a 60 percent chance of rain Tuesday and 40 percent on Wednesday.

Tropical system could bring rain, stormy weather to Tampa Bay 09/27/10 [Last modified: Monday, September 27, 2010 9:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. 5 things to do under $5: Wiener dog racing, Streetcar Festival, Clearwater chalk art, Dia De Los Muertos

    Events

    1Wienerfest: They had us at wiener dog racing. This day devoted to dachshunds features racing, a dog costume contest, food trucks, photo booth and raffles at the Florida State Fairgrounds on Saturday. Leashed dogs of all breeds welcome. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. 4802 U.S. 301 N, Tampa. Free admission. (407) …

    An entry in the costume contest from 2015's annual Dia de los Muertos Fiesta, or Day of the Dead Festival, hosted by Casa Tina's Mexican Restaurant.
photo courtesy Mikell Herrick
  2. Locale Market changes yet again, rebranding the restaurant as FarmTable Cucina

    Food & Dining

    When Locale Market opened in Sundial St. Pete in Dec. 2014, it was the most-hyped, most-anticipated gourmet market/food hall/culinary playground Tampa Bay had ever seen. Since then, celebrity chef-owner Michael Mina has done what every entrepreneur does in the face of challenges: tinker.

    Chef Michael Mina and chef Jeffrey Hileman work in the kitchen at Farmtable Kitchen in 2016. EVE EDELHEIT   |   Times
  3. Look for Tampa Bay filmmaker Joe Davison on 'Stranger Things'

    Human Interest

    For a year, Joe Davison kept a secret he wanted to tell so badly he feared it would burst from his mouth like an alien baby from John Hurt's chest.

    Joe Davison, at home in his dining room in Seminole, decked out for Halloween with “Stranger Things” decor, will appear in Season 2 of “Stranger Things.”
  4. Brooksville council begins study of law enforcement options

    Local Government

    BROOKSVILLE — The City Council has jumped headlong into a discussion about the future of the Brooksville Police Department — specifically whether to maintain it as is or change the way law enforcement service is provided in an effort to relieve the city's budget woes.

    Brooksville Mayor Robert Battista suggested that the City Council agree to promise residents that neither the city police nor fire departments would be disbanded without a voter referendum.
  5. U.S. home construction tumbles 4.7 percent in September

    Working Life

    WASHINGTON — Construction of new homes fell 4.7 percent in September, the biggest decline in six months, reflecting weakness in both single-family activity and apartment building.

    Construction of new homes fell 4.7 percent in September, the biggest decline in six months, reflecting weakness in both single-family activity and apartment building.  [Associated Press file photo]