High pressure pushes westward today, according to 10Weather WTSP, and afternoon temperatures will hit the low 90s but will feel much hotter. Expect the usual evening storms.
• We explore why an insurgent campaign for the U.S. Senate doesn't have Marco Rubio worried about an upset. Read about it tampabay.com.
• A Florida Supreme Court ruling will send the state's workers compensation system topsy-turvy. See what two business leaders working on the issue think in a Q&A with business reporter Jeff Harrington this morning at tampabay.com/money.
• Craig Richard, the new CEO of the Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corp., has only been in his position since June, but has already arrived at a familiar conclusion when it comes to marketing Tampa Bay as a place to companies to bring jobs: The need for a cohesive message about what Tampa has to offer that is unlike Orlando and Miami. Read business columnist Robert Trigaux's story about Richard and his early impression of Tampa Bay this morning at tampabay.com/money.
• Yes, there are adult fans of My Little Pony — quite a few of them. Fans of the brightly-colored animated show about magical ponies are in Tampa, along with the youngsters, for this weekend's Grand Brony Gala. Here's our guide to the weekend events, including what a Brony is.
• Are you ready for the weekend? See our weekend planner for the top picks from our critics and writers for food, family fun and date night ideas, including an interview with Alice Cooper before his Saturday show and our art critic's look at Norma Kamali — City: Fashion+Art+Culture at the Tampa Museum of Art.
• Here are the top things to do today around Tampa Bay, including folk-rock singer Ray LaMontagne with a top-notch touring band and Fetish Con now under way in downtown St. Petersburg.
• As they prepare to play with Brad Paisley today at Tampa's MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre, country stars Maddie and Tae talked with us about their hit, Girl in a Country Song, Nashville's crop of strong female songwriters and more.