Pack an umbrella this morning, and maybe a hard hat. The early part of the day should include lots of rain, gusty winds and maybe even some dime-sized hail, according to 10Weather WTSP chief meteorologist Jim Van Fleet, who says this morning's conditions could make a tornado or waterspout possible. Next week: cold.
• The U.S. Coast Guard reported this morning that two Marine helicopters collided off the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Sara Mooers told the Associated Press the Marine Corps reported a collision of two helicopters off the coast just before midnight. Mooers says each aircraft had six people aboard.
• Did you stay up to watch the entire Republican presidential debate? We did. Check out PolitiFact's fact-checking report.
• Here are the top things to do in Tampa Bay today including Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.. the Sinatra-loving season six winner of NBC's America's Got Talent, and Freefall Theater putting a new spin on Our Town.
• Former Creed frontman Scott Stapp is sober and clear headed and kicking off his first solo tour here tonight. Our pop music critic Jay Cridlin talked to the singer about his very public meltdown and rehabilitation. You can check our Soundcheck blog later tonight after Cridlin checks out the show for his review.
• Our food critic Laura Reilley discovers that the Lure officially opens today on Central Avenue with pool tables, sushi and … grasshoppers? And we're not talking about that sticky sweet drink your mom used to order at fancy restaurants. We're talking about insects.
• Already looking forward to the College Football Playoff championship game next year in Tampa? We'll preview 10 teams that could be there this morning at tampabay.com/sports.