The same weather system that is expected to dump snow over much of the mid-Atlantic could bring heavy rain and big breezes our way on Friday, according to 10Weather WTSP's Jim Van Fleet. Then temperatures will drop for the weekend, though it will feel colder today as well.
• Heavy snowfall of up to 1 to 3 inches an hour has begun up the East Coast and could continue for 24 hours or more, forecasters say. Before it's over, this blizzard could rank near the top 10 to ever hit the region, according to the National Weather Service.
• PolitiFact editor Angie Drobnic Holan, deputy editor Katie Sanders and staff writer Lauren Carroll have been on the road in Iowa this week fact-checking the Republican and Democratic presidential candidates. Today, Holan shares the view from the ground at PolitiFact.com.
• Tampa Bay homeowners who have modest houses next to newly built McMansions say the huge houses are depriving them of privacy and ruining the feel of some neighborhoods. Some are even moving.
• The widening of the Panama Canal means larger ships could be coming to Port Tampa Bay soon, which port leaders hope that will boost the local economy.
• Two key economic statistics come out this morning — Florida jobs and home sales. Check for stories about both this morning at tampabay.com/money.
• Plan your weekend: We've got a kiddie Gasparilla parade, the piano man Billy Joel returns, lots to see on stage and a really big art show (in every sense of the word) in Tampa.
• The Tampa Bay Times unveils its annual Blue Chips recruiting package this afternoon. Who is our No. 1 recruit? Look for it at tampabay.com/hometeam.
• The Bucs will unveil the latest player to be inducted into their Ring of Honor at a 3 p.m. news conference. Look for it to be John Lynch. Follow beat writer Greg Auman on Twitter (@gregauman) for today's developments.