Deep moisture in the atmosphere is creating a warm, muggy, and — in some places — wet Friday start around the Tampa Bay area. Some parts — especially inland — could experience thick fog before it burns off this morning, 10Weather WTSP meteorologist Bobby Deskins said, and commuters on Tampa Bay area bridges could see a few sprinkles and scattered showers.
• Tampa Bay's interstate system is scheduled for a $6 billion overhaul — but it's a plan that disproportionately affects Tampa's poor minorities. State transportation officials say Tampa Bay Express will relieve congestion and provide a faster option for those willing to pay. Business leaders say the project addresses much needed concerns, such as rebuilding the Howard Frankland Bridge and the interchanges at Westshore and downtown Tampa. But critics say hundreds of black and Latino residents will be displaced and the new lanes are a giveaway to businesses and affluent suburbanites.
• A Muslim prayer service, known as Jenazah, was held Thursday for Muhammad Ali, who died last Friday at 74. Today, tens of thousands are expected to pay tribute to the former heavyweight champion at an interfaith memorial service in his hometown of Louisville, Ky. The day begins at 9 a.m. with a procession through the streets of Louisville, and the memorial service starts at 2 p.m.
• Meet Todd Wilcox. He led some of the first Americans on the ground as a CIA officer, earned a Bronze Star in Operation Desert Storm and oversaw hostage team snipers in East Asia. Now he wants to replace Marco Rubio in the U.S. Senate. "It's time to elect a warrior," he says.
• Today is the opening day for Mako, Orlando's first "hypercoaster" opening to the public at SeaWorld this morning. Our brave reporter rode the beast for this review of a ride that trades loop-de-loops for speed and nine designed moments of weightless airtime.
• We talked to one of the stars of Kidz Bop, the family friendly pop concert coming to Clearwater tonight. See what the 13-year-old charmer has to say about pop life and getting "too old" to be in the group after this year.
• Here are today's top things to do around Tampa Bay, including free ice cream in a downtown Tampa park and pop legends Journey, the Doobie Brothers and special guest Dave Mason on stage.
• Now that two 1 million square foot Amazon distribution centers have opened in the greater Tampa Bay region, one can't help but wonder: Where does all the stuff come from? Take a look at how cargo operations at Tampa International Airport are handling it.
• Read a profile of a Clearwater company that ishelping inventors get their ideas out of their heads and into a finished product.