Expect a warm, sunny start to your day with temperatures in the mid 70s rising to the mid 80s by the afternoon. Scattered showers and storms will begin after 3 p.m., according to WTSP 10Weather. That will be the model for much of Saturday, too, though a cold front will bring cooler, drier weather by mid Sunday.
• President Barack Obama is scheduled to visit Roseburg, Ore., today, a timber town still mourning the shooting that killed eight community college students and a teacher. But not everyone welcomes the president's visit. Many people in the region, known as Oregon's Bible Belt, are against his calls for stricter gun laws. Visit tampabay.com/news later today for updates.
• Business reporter Justine Griffin writes about Sarasota's shiny new Mall at University Town Center, which opened a year ago this month to great fanfare. It was the only mall to open in the U.S. that year and — with a Saks Fifth Avenue, Tesla Motors showroom and other anchors — threatened to disrupt shopping behavior in the greater Tampa Bay area. But how has the mall done over its first year, particularly as other malls have struggled?
• Some elderly homeowners with reverse mortgages are struggling, even with help from a federal program designed to help older folks stay in their homes. Their homes fall into deep disrepair because they don't have money to keep them in shape, and the threat of eviction is always near. Read Susan Taylor Martin's story about three elderly Tampa Bay residents with reverse mortgages and their efforts to stay in their homes.
• Um, guys, there's an Internet Cat Video Festival tonight in Vinoy Park.
• Read Jay Cridlin's review of the Death Grips' relentlessly provocative and unpredictable show on our Soundcheck blog. The experimental hip-hop act performed last night at the State Theatre.
• There's a zip line set up in downtown Tampa today. Check back at tampabay.com later for photos. There's also an Oktoberfest event turning Curtis Hixon park into a beer garden. We've got details and the rest of the top things to do today.
• Tom Bassinger breaks down the film for our Bucs Scouting Report heading into Sunday's home game against Jacksonville. Look for it to appear at tampabay.com/bucs by lunchtime.