Tornado warnings were issued in Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsborough counties early Thursday after radar showed storm cells with rotating winds. It wasn't immediately clear whether a tornado touched down, but several homes in New Port Richey were damaged, officials said, and thousands of homes and businesses were without power from Bayonet Point in Pasco to a line from Clearwater Beach to Safety Harbor in Pinellas. The storms were expected to pass through the area, making for clear, cool weather from the afternoon through Friday, according to 10Weather WTSP.
• Follow business reporter Justine Griffin on Twitter (@SunBizGriffin) for updates out of the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority meeting beginning at 9 a.m. Airport officials will discuss updates on the $953 million in Tampa International Airport renovations.
• The Tampa City Council is scheduled to select a new chairman this morning. Big deal, right? The largely ceremonial post brings with it little extra power. But this year it has added significance.
• College hockey's Frozen Four national semifinals are tonight at Amalie Arena. Follow all the action on our live blog.
• For the refugees of colder climates here for the Frozen Four, we have suggestions for where to find live music, restaurants and top museums. And of course, our beaches are world class. Here are our picks for five unique beach scenes to suit on your mood.
• Here are the top things to do today around Tampa Bay, including a kickoff party for the Tampa Bay Blues Fest and the first of the gatherings surrounding the popular Art In Bloom, an exhibit of intricate floral designs based on the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Art's collection. Art critic Lennie Bennett lays out the must-see events for Art in Bloom, which runs through Monday.