• Believe it or not, it's actually expected to be warmer today than in recent days, with highs topping 90, according to WTSP 10Weather. There's not much chance of rain with morning patchy clouds giving way to clear skies in the afternoon.
• In 2012, a Tampa longshoreman named Hercules Gilmore Jr. died at Port Tampa Bay after two tons of piping fell on top of him. The ship he was working on, the 609-foot Honesty Ocean, quickly left port and has never returned to U.S. waters again — even as Gilmore's widow has tried to serve its owner with a lawsuit alleging negligence. The case showcases the difficulties of enforcing the law on the enormous and mysterious high seas. Read the full report here .
• At 8 a.m, the Florida House Education Committee will discuss legislation related to high school sports and the Florida High School Athletic Association. Follow @ByKristenMClark for developments.
• Fascinated by Mars? NASA scientists will provide some findings from the ongoing exploration of Mars during a news briefing at 2 p.m. today. The briefing will be broadcast live on NASA Television and at nasa.gov.
• Plan your weekend: Don't get caught without a date night plan or something to do with your kids. Our critics have picked the best bets for this weekend from a craft beer festival to artsy holiday shopping, a kite festival and the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul herself Mary J. Blige at the Sun Dome.
• VIDEO available this morning at tampabay.com
: In an exclusive walk-through for the Tampa Bay Times, see what the celebrity chefs behind Locale Market have done to the much-buzzed about hybrid food emporium at Sundial, the former BayWalk shopping plaza in St. Petersburg. As of today, the whole second floor has become FarmTable Kitchen, a 145-seat full-service, sit-down restaurant, and all retail moves downstairs.
• Check tampabay.com/lightning later in the afternoon for the latest Lightning Strikes podcast as beat writer Joe Smith keeps you up to date as Tampa Bay prepares for a game tonight in Buffalo.