Look for early afternoon showers over parts of the Tampa Bay region today, according to 10Weather WTSP. Highs should hover above 90 degrees. Pay attention to weather systems rolling off the coast of Africa that could turn into tropical storms.
• The Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority will hold its "State of Transit" event at 10:30 a.m. at the University of South Florida's CAMLS center in downtown Tampa to discuss upcoming transportation projects. Schedule to speak are Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik, state Sen. Jeff Brandes, HART CEO Katherine Eagan and HART chairman Mike Suarez. Follow Caitlin Johnston on Twitter (@cljohnst ) for updates.
• Clearwater Olympic sailor Paige Railey had to wait until today to compete in the women's laser radial medal race after Monday's race was postponed due to high winds. Railey secured a place in the race by placing fourth in her second race of the day on Saturday, putting her 10th overall after the first 10 races of the regatta. The race is scheduled for around 12:05 p.m.
• The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's hurricane hunters fly into tropical storms to measure their intensity and figure out their path. But they've always had trouble getting timely permission to fly over Cuba. That could soon change. The NOAA planes, based at Tampa's MacDill Air Force Base, are at the center of negotiations to finally allow them to fly over Cuba to measure storms, instead of diverting from Cuban air space during hurricane season. Read the story later today on tampabay.com.
• This summer has turned out to be the perfect storm for termites in the Tampa Bay area. The destructive pests are keeping some exterminators so busy that they are booked until fall — one until November. So why are termites so bad this summer? Read business reporter Jerome R. Stockfisch's story.
• Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton is scheduled to campaign in Philadelphia today, her second appearance in as many days in the battleground state of Pennsylvania.
• Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump campaigns in the battleground state of Wisconsin, with a campaign rally in West Bend.
• Here are the top things to do today around Tampa Bay, including $2 tickets for kids at today's Rays game and an open mic night for storytellers.
• Anyone can tell you August brings National Ice Cream Pie Day and National Whiskey Sour Day, but our food editor has some tips on how to spend the many food holidays this month from gooey recipes to the best bars to order a drink on a rooftop lounge.
• The University of Florida football team was awful at field goal attempts a year ago. Stepping in to solve the Gators' kicking woes? Miami's Eddy Pineiro, who is lauded for his "NFL leg strength." One small problem though. He's never actually kicked a field goal during a game. Read more about Pineiro this morning at tampabay.com/sports.