Our cold spell continues, with bitter temperatures in the morning giving way to highs in the mid 60s later on, according to 10Weather WTSP. Thursday's weather looks to be similar, with gusty winds and rain on the way come Friday.
• Taliban gunmen stormed a university in northwestern Pakistan this morning, killing at least 20 people and triggering an hours-long gunbattle with the army and police before the military declared the assault in a town near the city of Peshawar was over. The attack stirred grim echoes of the horrific 2014 Peshawar school attack that killed more than 150 people, mostly children, and shocked the nation. It also prompted the Pakistani prime minister to pledge the country will wipe out the 'menace of terrorism.' Police said four attackers were also killed.
• A letter by the intelligence agencies' inspector general says that a review of emails on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private computer server found information that would place it among the government's most closely guarded secrets.
• On a busy day in the Legislature for education issues, the Senate education committee is expected to vote on the highly controversial Best and Brightest teacher bonus program. A no vote could kill the program, now in its first year, which gives hefty bonuses to "highly qualified" teachers who had good SAT or ACT scores back in high school. Follow @ByKristenMClark and @JeffSolochek.
• Also on tap in afternoon committees during the legislative session: a discussion of the proposed Seminole Tribe gambling compact, medical marijuana and court budgets. They're all among our Tallahassee team's five things to watch today. Check tampabay.com/politics all day long for the latest.
• Voting starts today to pick the "People's Choice" winner from a slate of creative hamburgers at the Florida State Fair when it opens Feb. 4, including one with a scoop of Mexican-style fried ice cream globbed on a cheeseburger patty. We're used to food monstrosities at the fair, and this year won't let us down with promises of pizza funnel cakes and a fried birthday cake pop, too.
• Here are today's top things to do in Tampa Bay, including folk singer Arlo Guthrie and the opening of the Lion King's four-week run at Tampa's Straz Center.