Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

3 who raped journalist in India sentenced to death

NEW DELHI —An Indian court on Friday sentenced to death three men who raped a photojournalist inside an abandoned textile mill last year in Mumbai.

A fourth defendant was sentenced to life in prison, prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said. He said he asked for the death sentences under a strict antirape law introduced following public outrage over a fatal gang rape in New Delhi in 2012.

"This is the first case in India in which the death penalty has been given to convicts while the victim is alive," Nikam said.

The three men were also found guilty last month of raping a call-center operator at the same abandoned mill in July 2013, a month before the attack on the photojournalist.

Nikam described the three as habitual offenders.

Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi said the offense was diabolical in nature and the punishment would send a strong message to Indian society.

India increased penalties for sex crimes and began to move rape trials more quickly through its notoriously slow justice system after a 23-year-old medical student died after being gang-raped on a moving bus in the capital in December 2012. Four men were sentenced to death in the New Delhi case.

Also Friday, 24 men were sentenced to prison for raping a 16-year-old girl who was abducted in Kerala state in 1996. A court had acquitted all but one defendant in 2005, but India's top court ordered a retrial last year.

One man was sentenced to life in prison, and 23 others were sentenced to seven to 11 years, prosecutor Anella George said.

The victim was abducted and raped in homes, hotels, cars and buses over one and a half months. Those convicted in the town of Ernakulam included a retired professor, lawyers, businessmen and government officials.

3 who raped journalist in India sentenced to death 04/04/14 [Last modified: Friday, April 4, 2014 11:01pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Superintendent will ask Pasco School Board to convert Ridgewood High to magnet

    K12

    LAND O'LAKES — It's all but official for Ridgewood High School.

    Superintendent Kurt Browning on Tuesday said he would formally ask the Pasco County School Board on Nov. 7 to approve transforming Ridgewood High School into a magnet technical high school for 2018-19.
  2. Police: Suspicious death in West Tampa likely an isolated incident

    Crime

    TAMPA — Police are investigating a suspicious death in West Tampa late Tuesday night.

  3. Police investigating North Tampa homicide, likely not related to Seminole Heights slayings

    Crime

    TAMPA — Police are investigating a homicide in North Tampa early Wednesday morning.

  4. Florida Rep.: Trump says fallen soldier knew what he signed up for (w/video)

    National

    MIAMI — President Donald Trump told the widow of a slain soldier that he "knew what he signed up for," according to a Florida congresswoman.

  5. Wing of Channelside Bay Plaza being demolished to make way for Water Street Tampa

    Business

    TAMPA — The developers of Channelside Bay Plaza originally wanted the name to include "Garrison." That would have fit, in a way, because the complex turned out to be fort-like, inwardly focused and unwelcoming.

    Demolition of the southwest wing of Channelside Bay Plaza is underway, with a big chunk of the building expected to come down today.