Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Boko Haram releases video said to show kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls

The Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has released a video said to show some of the scores of girls who were abducted from a boarding school last month.

In the images, delivered to news organizations and posted on YouTube on Monday, about 100 girls are shown covered in gray and black veils and reciting in Arabic. It is not clear where or when the video was recorded.

An estimated 276 schoolgirls have been missing since April 14, when gunmen stormed their school in Chibok, in Nigeria's northeastern Borno state, and drove off with them in trucks. At least 53 girls have managed to escape, according to police.

Boko Haram's leader, Abubakar Shekau, appears in the video wearing military fatigues and holding an assault rifle. He says the girls have converted to Islam and won't be released until imprisoned militants are freed.

Nigerian Interior Minister Patrick Abba Morro rejected the offer of a prisoner exchange, telling the BBC that it is "absurd" for a "terrorist group" to try to set conditions.

The mass kidnapping and the government's failure to rescue the girls have provoked outrage in Nigeria, a country of 170 million divided between the predominantly Muslim north and the mainly Christian south. Last week, Nigeria accepted offers of help from the United States, Britain and other countries.

Boko Haram, which bitterly opposes secular education and Western culture, has carried out dozens of school attacks since 2012, killing scores of students and teachers. It has closed nearly all of the schools in Nigeria's vast northeastern desert region and wants to establish Islamic law throughout Nigeria.

Boko Haram releases video said to show kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls 05/12/14 [Last modified: Monday, May 12, 2014 9:51pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Tribune News Service.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rose McGowan will replace Val Kilmer at Tampa Bay Comic Con

    Blogs

    Well, that was fast. Less than a day after announcing that one-time Batman Val Kilmer canceled his appearance at Tampa Bay Comic Con, organizers say actress Rose McGowan will take his place at the geek-tastic event running Friday to Sunday at the Tampa Convention center.

    Rose McGowan and her then-husband Davey Detail in 2013.
  2. Bradenton museum where Snooty the manatee drowned reopens to public (w/video)

    Wildlife

    BRADENTON — A Florida museum where a 69-year-old manatee got trapped in a maintenance tube and drowned has reopened to the public.

    Four-year-old Katie Blair pays her respects to Snooty at a makeshift memorial in front of the museum on Sunday. Katie and her family has visited the aquarium to see Snooty four times this year. 
Snooty was the world's oldest living manatee in captivity and celebrated his 69th birthday Friday at the aquarium. Aquarium officials described Snooty's death as a tragic accident and is being investigated. [LUIS SANTANA   |   Times]

  3. HomeTeam 100: Players 21-30

    Footballpreps

    TAMPA - Jesuit linebacker Anthony Nelson will help lead the Tigers into the 2017 season. Taken 5-17-17 by Scott Purks
  4. For starters: Cobb on the hill against Orioles

    Blogs

     

    Alex Cobb takes the mound, hoping to duplicate his performance from Friday when he was three outs away from pitching a complete game.
  5. Ros-Lethinen: Trump wrong on transgender ban

    Blogs

    WASHINGTON - Florida Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen criticized President Trump's announced ban on transgender people serving in the military.

    Miami Republican Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.