Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Embassy riot angers Britain

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian protesters screaming "death to England" stormed the vast British Embassy compound and a diplomatic residence in Tehran on Tuesday, torched at least one vehicle, tore down the Union Jack, ransacked offices and briefly held six staff members captive during an officially approved protest of economic sanctions against Iran's suspect nuclear energy program.

The assault, reported by Iranian news services and broadcast on Iranian television, ended after several hours and constituted the most serious breach between Britain and Iran in more than 20 years. The images evoked memories of the siege of the U.S. Embassy after the Iranian revolution of 1979. The embassies are about a mile apart.

Calling Tuesday's attack "outrageous and indefensible," British Prime Minister David Cameron said that Iran's failure to defend the embassy and its staff was a disgrace and would have "serious consequences."

He said all embassy staff had been accounted for and praised Britain's ambassador to Iran for handling a "dangerous situation with calm and professionalism."

Sorting out who to blame may be difficult.

The late-afternoon demonstration outside the British Embassy was organized by pro-government groups at universities and Islamic seminaries, and could not have taken place without official sanction. However, such anti-Western rallies often draw ultraconservative factions such as the basiji, a paramilitary group run by the powerful Revolutionary Guard that is directly controlled by Iran's ruling theocracy.

Riot police initially clashed with mobs in attempts to hold them back, but protesters surged past cordons and scaled the walls at the embassy complex, which they pelted with fire bombs and stones. Flames shot out of a sport utility vehicle parked outside the brick building and occupiers tossed papers apparently looted from an office.

"Death to England!" some cried outside the compound in the first significant assault of a foreign diplomatic area in Iran in years.

Inside the compound, protesters replaced the British flag with a banner in the name of 7th-century Shiite saint, Imam Hussein. One man showed a picture of Queen Elizabeth II apparently taken off a wall.

It was not immediately clear Tuesday if the protesters entered the main embassy building or only reached auxiliary sites.

In another part of Tehran, the official IRNA news agency said about 300 protesters entered a complex used for embassy staff and other officials and replaced British flags with Iranian ones.

Iranian news agencies said about 50 protesters invaded the offices of the enormous walled compound housing the British Embassy and its manicured grounds, situated in a busy neighborhood in the heart of Tehran, while thousands of student protesters rallied outside, and that 200 to 300 others got into a British diplomatic residence facility a few miles north of the embassy, called Qolhak Garden. The residence facility also houses a school.

Iran's semiofficial Fars News Agency said police officers freed six British staff members who had been surrounded by the Qolhak Garden protesters and that 12 of those protesters were later arrested.

Britain's Foreign Secretary William Hague downplayed suggestions of a hostage situation, saying there had been "confusing" reports coming out of Iran.

He said that Britain held Iran's government responsible and promised "other, further and serious consequences."

By nightfall — more than three hours after the assaults began — Iranian authorities appeared to have regained control of both British compounds. Riot police surrounded the embassy compound and officials said all protesters were driven out.

But sporadic clashes persisted, including some where police fired tear gas to disperse crowds, according to Fars. Some protesters were arrested, it said.

Iranian state TV said Iran's Foreign Ministry expressed regret about "unacceptable behavior" of protesters, saying Iran respects international agreements to protect diplomatic sites.

In Washington, President Barack Obama said he was "deeply disturbed" by Tuesday's events and urged the Iranian government to hold those responsible to account.

"For rioters to essentially be able to overrun the embassy and set it on fire is an indication that the Iranian government is not taking its international obligations seriously," Obama said.

Cameron also condemned Iran for "its unacceptable failure to protect diplomats in line with international law."

"The Iranian government must immediately ensure the continued safety of our staff, return all property and secure the compound immediately. Those responsible for this criminal attack must be prosecuted," he said.

The U.S. and many allies fear that Iran's nuclear program could eventually lead to nuclear weapons. Tehran says it only seeks reactors for energy and research, but will not give up the technology to make its own nuclear fuel.

On Monday, the U.S., Britain and Canada announced more sanctions intended to further isolate Iran's economy.

Information from the Associated Press and New York Times was used in this report.

Embassy riot angers Britain 11/29/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:41am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  2. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.
  3. Told not to look, Donald Trump looks at the solar eclipse

    National

    Of course he looked.

    Monday's solar eclipse — life-giving, eye-threatening, ostensibly apolitical — summoned the nation's First Viewer to the Truman Balcony of the White House around 2:38 p.m. Eastern time.

    The executive metaphor came quickly.

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump view the solar eclipse from the Truman balcony of the White House, in Washington, Aug. 21, 2017. [Al Drago | New York Times]
  4. Secret Service says it will run out of money to protect Trump and his family Sept. 30

    National

    WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday that it has enough money to cover the cost of protecting President Donald Trump and his family through the end of September, but after that the agency will hit a federally mandated cap on salaries and overtime unless Congress intervenes.

    Secret service agents walk with President Donald Trump after a ceremony to welcome the 2016 NCAA Football National Champions the Clemson Tigers on the South Lawn of the White House on June 12, 2017. [Olivier Douliery | Sipa USA via TNS]
  5. After fraught debate, Trump to disclose new Afghanistan plan

    War

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will unveil his updated Afghanistan policy Monday night in a rare, prime-time address to a nation that broadly shares his pessimism about American involvement in the 16-year conflict. Although he may send a few thousand more troops, there are no signs of a major shift in …

    U.S. soldiers patrol the perimeter of a weapons cache near the U.S. military base in Bagram, Afghanistan in 2003. Sixteen years of U.S. warfare in Afghanistan have left the insurgents as strong as ever and the nation's future precarious. Facing a quagmire, President Donald Trump on Monday will outline his strategy for a country that has historically snared great powers and defied easy solutions.  [Associated Press (2003)]