Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Israel says Hamas to pay for deaths of 3 teenagers

JERUSALEM — The Israeli army confirmed Monday that search teams found the bodies of three kidnapped Israeli teenagers, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed that the Islamist militant group Hamas, which it accuses of the abductions, would pay a heavy price.

Speaking at the start of a meeting of his security cabinet following the discovery, Netanyahu said, "Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay." He said the three "were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by wild beasts."

The teenagers were abducted June 12 as they made their way home from their religious school in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. The security cabinet concluded its meeting without making a clear declaration and plans to meet again today.

In the weeks since the abductions, the Israeli military has conducted one of the largest and most aggressive sweeps in the West Bank in a decade. The fallout has included house searches, raids, arrests and even deaths, igniting new frictions between Israelis and Palestinians, who just three months ago were in the midst of U.S.-brokered peace talks.

Netanyahu has said that Hamas, the militant Islamist group that rules the Gaza Strip, is directly responsible for the kidnappings and killings. But Netanyahu also has criticized Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas' recent move to form a transitional Palestinian unity government backed by Hamas. Israel and the United States consider Hamas a terrorist organization.

Hamas and Abbas' Fatah party had said they were not responsible for the teens' fate, although the Fatah leader was quick to condemn the kidnappings.

In Washington, President Barack Obama sent his "deepest and heartfelt condolences" to the families. Yet he urged "all parties" to refrain from steps that could further destabilize the situation.

While few details were released on the exact fate of the three teens, security officials said the bodies of Eyal Yifrah, 19, Gilad Shaar, 16, and Naftali Fraenkel, a 16-year-old with dual Israeli-American citizenship, were found in an open area close to Hebron, in the West Bank, near where they disappeared.

Lt. Col. Peter Lerner, an Israeli army spokesman, said the bodies were discovered about 5 p.m. Monday by civilian volunteer searchers and special forces.

He said the army could not yet specify how the victims were killed or how long their bodies had been hidden there.

Lerner also said it was too early to determine what Israel's response would be, but by Monday night some officials were calling for decisive action.

Israelis rally Monday in the West Bank, not far from where the bodies of three Israeli teenagers who were kidnapped.

Getty Images

Israelis rally Monday in the West Bank, not far from where the bodies of three Israeli teenagers who were kidnapped.

Israel says Hamas to pay for deaths of 3 teenagers 06/30/14 [Last modified: Monday, June 30, 2014 11:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Washington Post.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Car bomb kills 13, injures 24 in Baghdad; Islamic State claims responsibility

    World

    BAGHDAD — A car bomb exploded outside a popular ice cream shop in central Baghdad just after midnight today, killing 13 people and wounding 24, hospital and police officials said.

  2. Leaping shark floors angler in Australia

    World

    In The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway's protagonist battles for three days to pull in his prized catch. For Terry Selwood, it came a little more suddenly.

    A 9-foot shark lies on the deck of a fishing boat at Evans Head, Australia on Sunday. Fisherman Terry Selwood said he was left with a badly bruised and bleeding right arm where the shark struck him with a fin as it landed on him on the deck. [Lance Fountain via AP]
  3. Rays rally twice to beat Rangers (w/video)

    The Heater

    ARLINGTON, Texas — Starting Erasmo Ramirez on Monday after he closed out Sunday's marathon win turned out, despite the Rays' best intentions and rigid insistence, to be a bad idea as he gave up four runs without getting through three innings.

    Erasmo Ramirez, starting a day after closing a 15-inning marathon, struggles against the Rangers and comes out after throwing 43 pitches in 21/3 innings.
  4. Britain investigating missed signals over Manchester bomber

    World

    LONDON — Britain's domestic intelligence agency, MI5, is investigating its response to warnings from the public about the threat posed by Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 people and wounded dozens more in an attack at a crowded Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, last week.

    People gather Monday at St. Ann’s Square in Manchester, England, to view tributes to victims of the suicide bombing that killed 22 on May 22 as a concert by Ariana Grande was concluding.
  5. Trump condemns killing of pair who tried to stop racist rant

    Nation

    The mayor of Portland, Ore., on Monday urged U.S. officials and organizers to cancel a "Trump Free Speech Rally" and other similar events, saying they are inappropriate and could be dangerous after two men were stabbed to death on a train as they tried to help a pair of young women targeted by an anti-Muslim tirade.

    Coco Douglas, 8, leaves a handmade sign and rocks she painted at a memorial in Portland, Ore., on Saturday for two bystanders who were stabbed to death Friday while trying to stop a man who was yelling anti-Muslim slurs and acting aggressively toward two young women. From left are Coco's brother, Desmond Douglas; her father, Christopher Douglas; and her stepmother, Angel Sauls. [Associated Press]