Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pentagon plans to transfer six from Gitmo to Uruguay

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has notified Congress of its intent to transfer six Guantanamo Bay detainees to Uruguay, two Obama administration officials said Wednesday.

Uruguayan President Jose Mujica has opposed the way detainees are treated at Guantanamo and has said that he would take them in, but then they would be free to leave.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is the administration's policy not to publicly confirm such notifications, said the Pentagon alerted Congress of the plan last week, the Associated Press reported. In practice, the actual transfer would not take place until at least 30 days after the congressional notification.

It would be the first transfer of Guantanamo Bay detainees since five former Taliban commanders were exchanged in May for Bowe Bergdahl, the Army sergeant who had been held for five years by the Taliban. The release of the five for Bergdahl irritated Congress because it was not given the required 30-day notice.

There currently are 149 Guantanamo detainees.

The New York Times, which first reported the plan to release the six detainees, reported that the group includes four Syrians, one Palestinian and one Tunisian.

U.S. and Uruguayan officials have spoken publicly in recent months about their negotiations over terms under which Uruguay would allow a number of Guantanamo Bay prisoners to resettle there. It is not clear what Uruguay would gain, beyond advancing the cause of eventually closing Guarantamo Bay.

Pentagon plans to transfer six from Gitmo to Uruguay 07/16/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:16pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Officials: 1 dead, 7 victims hurt in Tennessee church shooting

    Nation

    NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A masked gunman entered a church in Tennessee on Sunday and opened fire, killing at least one person and injuring seven others before apparently shooting himself, an official said.

  2. Bucs-Vikings: A by-the-numbers look at the Bucs' 34-17 loss

    Bucs

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Clinton McDonald (98) hits Minnesota Vikings quarterback Case Keenum (7) as he passes during the first half of an NFL game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minn., on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times 

  3. Chris Archer falters again as Rays lose 9-4 to Orioles

    Blogs

    BALTIMORE — Another short outing by Chris Archer led to another long afternoon for the Rays in a 9-4 loss to the Orioles.

    Chris Archer failed to get through the fourth inning as he allowed six runs on eight hits and a walk.
  4. Pepin Academies’ leader Craig Butz killed in boat crash; 4-year-old daughter critically hurt

    Briefs

    CLEARWATER -- The executive director of the Pepin Academies charter schools was killed and his 4-year-old daughter was critically injured when the water scooter they were riding collided with a boat Saturday, authorities said Sunday.

    Craig Butz, executive director of Pepin Academies and former professional hockey player, died in a crash with a boat Saturday. His daughter Teagan, 4, remained in critical condition Sunday afternoon. [WILL VRAGOVIC   |   TIMES, 2013]
  5. Who took a knee? How each NFL team responded to Donald Trump's tweets about anthem protests

    Bucs

    NFL players, coaches and owners across the league reacted in various ways on Sunday to remarks from President Donald Trump speaking about NFL players who have protested during the national anthem.

    Bucs receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson both kneeled during the national anthem in protest before Sunday's game at the Vikings. [LOREN ELLIOTT | Times]