Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

South Korea hit by major cyber attack

Customers try to use ATMs while computer networks are paralyzed Wednesday at a subway station in Seoul.

Associated Press

Customers try to use ATMs while computer networks are paralyzed Wednesday at a subway station in Seoul.

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea was hit by a major cyber attack Wednesday as the computer systems of two major banks, three broadcasters and others simultaneously crashed, raising suspicions that North Korea was to blame.

On some computer screens, images of skulls with glowing red eyes popped up along with cackling laughter.

Although it appears the attack, which began about 2 p.m., was designed more to frighten than to destroy, it highlighted the vulnerability of one of the world's most wired, tech-dependent countries. Some banking operations were virtually paralyzed during the afternoon.

Newly installed President Park Geun-hye formed a crisis center to investigate the exact cause of the computer crashes.

"We cannot rule out the possibility that this was North Korea's deed, but it's hard to judge in advance," said Defense Ministry spokesperson Kim Min-seok.

Initial findings today indicated a Chinese Internet address was the source of the attack. South Korea has previously accused North Korean hackers of using Chinese addresses to attack.

North Korea was a prime suspect in part because it had threatened in recent days to retaliate against South Korea for joint military exercises under way with the United States and for Seoul's support of U.N. sanctions against the North.

Last week, North Korea accused the United States and South Korea of shutting down several of its websites.

It is expected to take at least four to five days for the infected computers to recover fully.

Information from Associated Press was used in this report.

South Korea hit by major cyber attack 03/20/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Tribune News Service.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Tampa Chamber of Commerce announces small business winners

    Business

    TAMPA — The Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce selected the winners of the 2017 Small Business of the Year Awards at a ceremony Wednesday night at the David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts. More than 600 attendees celebrated the accomplishments of Tampa Bay's small business community.

    Vincent Cassidy, president and CEO of Majesty Title Services, was named Outstanding Small Business Leader of the Year by the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce.

  2. UF president Kent Fuchs: 'Charlottesville changed everything' (w/video)

    K12

    GAINESVILLE — Wednesday evening, hazy rumors of an impending Neo-Nazi march reached some wary protesters. A few quickly rallied to denounce the marchers in downtown Gainesville, only to find plazas empty but for police.

    University of Florida President W. Kent Fuchs talks with reporters Wednesday about white nationalist Richard Spencer's planned speech on Thursday. He said of Spencer: "In a small way, he is causing us to redouble our focus on supporting actions that are the opposite of what he wants." [WILL VRAGOVIC   |   Times]
  3. Kenya vote chief says 'difficult' to have credible election

    World

    NAIROBI, Kenya — It is "difficult to guarantee a free, fair and credible election" in Kenya's fresh presidential vote just eight days away despite "full technical preparedness," the head of the election commission said Wednesday as another wave of uncertainty swept through East Africa's largest economy.

  4. International array of artists chosen as finalists for Pier project

    Local Government

    ST. PETERSBURG — A diverse group of six artists will compete for a chance to install their work at the city's multimillion-dollar Pier District, expected to open in early 2019.

  5. Former Jabil executive's fate in hands of murder trial jury

    Criminal

    LARGO — For a second time, Patrick Evans' future is in the hands of a jury.

    Patrick Evans talks with Allison Miller, one of his three public defenders, before jury selection this w eek. Evans, a former Jabil executive charged with killing his estranged wife and her friend almost 10 years ago, is back in court for a second trial after his original death sentence conviction was overturned by the Florida Supreme Court. JIM DAMASKE   |   Times