Suspected U.S. drone strike kills 2 in Yemen

SANA, Yemen — A suspected U.S. drone strike killed two alleged al-Qaida militants in southern Yemen on Saturday, military officials said, making it the ninth such strike in just two weeks.

The strike in Lahj province wounded two other militants, one of them seriously, the officials said. The four had been traveling in a car in the area of el-Askariya.

There have been nine suspected U.S. drone strikes in Yemen since July 27. The drone attacks in that two-week period have killed 38 suspected militants in Yemen.

Washington recently flew diplomatic staff out of Yemen's capital over fears of a terrorist attack.

The United States, which is set to reopen diplomatic posts that were temporarily closed this week throughout parts of Africa and the Middle East amid a major terror alert, will keep its embassy in Yemen closed.

Yemeni Defense Minister Maj. Gen. Mohammed Nasser Ahmed met on Saturday with Deputy U.S. Ambassador Karen Sasahara and two American security officials based in Yemen to discuss the security situation.

In a statement, the defense minister said he expressed appreciation during the meeting for U.S. logistical and technical support to the Yemeni armed forces in their fight against al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

Washington considers the group as the most dangerous al-Qaida branch to threaten U.S. interests.

Suspected U.S. drone strike kills 2 in Yemen 08/10/13 [Last modified: Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:14pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...