Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Toronto council strips mayor of most powers

TORONTO — Amid cries of "Shame! Shame!" scandal-plagued Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was stripped of the last of his meaningful powers Monday after a heated City Council debate in which he argued with members of the public, charged hecklers and knocked down a council member.

Ford called the move a "coup d'etat" and vowed an "outright war" in next year's mayoral race.

"What's happening here today is not a democratic process, it's a dictatorship process," the 44-year-old mayor declared.

The council lacks the power to remove Ford from office unless he is convicted of a crime. Instead, members sought the strongest recourse available after revelations that Ford smoked crack cocaine and his repeated outbursts of erratic behavior.

The council voted overwhelmingly in favor of slashing Ford's office budget by 60 percent and allowing his staff to move to the deputy mayor, who now takes on many of the mayor's former powers. Ford now effectively has no legislative power.

The debate became raucous after Ford paced around the council chamber and traded barbs with members of the public. Ford barreled toward his detractors, mowing into Councilor Pam McConnell.

Ford said he was rushing to the defense of his brother, Councilor Doug Ford, and accidentally knocked McConnell down.

"I picked her up," he said. "I ran around because I thought my brother was getting into an altercation."

Visibly shaken after Ford ran her over, McConnell, a woman in her 60s, said she never expected the chaos that broke out.

"This is the seat of democracy," McConnell said.

In an image from video, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford knocks down Councilor Pam McConnell while running toward hecklers Monday at City Hall.

Associated Press

In an image from video, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford knocks down Councilor Pam McConnell while running toward hecklers Monday at City Hall.

Toronto council strips mayor of most powers 11/18/13 [Last modified: Monday, November 18, 2013 11:22pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Tampa police link two shootings, tell Seminole Heights residents to avoid walking alone

    Crime

    TAMPA — One was a 22-year-old African American man. The other was a 32-year-old white women.

  2. Pinellas Sheriff deputies T. Festa, left, and J. Short, righ,t arrest suspect Christopher Parsells, Pinellas Park, early Tuesday as part of a joint roundup of unlicensed contractors. [SCOTT KEELER | Times]
  3. Richard Spencer coming to town? What UF can learn from other schools

    College

    With Richard Spencer's controversial visit to the University of Florida quickly approaching, some UF and Gainesville police officers boarded a plane bound for Berkeley.

    Thousands of people, many of them college students, gather for a vigil on the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, Va. on Aug. 16 -- four days after a Unite the Right rally that led to clashes and the death of a woman. In advance of an appearance Thursday at the University of Florida by white nationalist Richard Spencer, the school is looking at what happened in Charlottesville and other venues where controversial speakers have visited. [Jason Lappa | The New York Times]
  4. Trigaux: On new Forbes 400 list of U.S. billionaires, 35 now call Florida their home

    Personal Finance

    The latest Forbes 400 richest people in America was unveiled Tuesday, with 35 billionaires on that list calling Florida home. That's actually down from 40 Florida billionaires listed last year when a full 10 percent listed declared they were Floridians by residence.

    Edward DeBartolo, Jr., shopping center developer and  former San Francisco 49ers Owner, posed with his bronze bust last year during the NFL Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony in Canton, Ohio. DeBartolo remains the wealthiest person in Tampa Bay according to the Forbes 400 list released Tuesday. 
[Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images]
  5. Today he secures Bucs games; 30 years ago he played in them

    Bucs

    TAMPA —- Whenever the Bucs play a home game, Sankar Montoute is on hand to supervise more than 50 officers from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office on duty at Raymond James Stadium.

    Sankar Montoute, who oversees Homeland Security for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, was a replacement player for the Bucs during the 1987 strike. 
Montoute, who had a sack and interception in the same NFL game, oversees the 50-plus officers who work at Bucs games, most of whom have no idea he played. [Times files (1987)]