Clear66° FULL FORECASTClear66° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

U.S. warns Karzai of complete troop pullout

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan's president and a White House official delivered blunt messages to each other Monday that gave no indication of a resolution of their disagreements over a pact that governs the future of the American troop presence in the country.

Hamid Karzai said he won't back down from his refusal to sign during the rest of his term in office, with White House national security adviser Susan Rice responding that this would mean the United States would then start planning to pull out all its forces after 2014.

Their meeting in Kabul came the day after Karzai's surprise decision to ignore Sunday's recommendation by an Afghan assembly of dignitaries to sign the Bilateral Security Agreement, a refusal that cast doubt on whether American and allied troops would remain in Afghanistan to train Afghan forces after most foreign troops withdraw next year.

According to Karzai's office, he told Rice that he wouldn't back down from that decision, deferring it to whoever succeeds him as president in elections in April.

The White House said Rice responded that all U.S. troops would leave the country after 2014 if he doesn't promptly sign.

Rice met with Karzai at the end of a previously unannounced three-day trip to Afghanistan to visit U.S. troops and civilians for Thanksgiving, the White House said, adding that Karzai sought the meeting.

U.S. warns Karzai of complete troop pullout 11/25/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:24am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...