Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Vatican defends pope against Argentina 'dirty war' allegations

VATICAN CITY — The Vatican on Friday rejected any suggestion that Pope Francis of Argentina was implicated in his country's so-called "dirty war" during the 1970s, tackling the issue just two days after the pontiff's election.

On a day when Francis delivered a warm address to his cardinals and continued to project humility, the Vatican seemed intent on putting to rest questions about the pope's past, dismissing them as opportunistic defamations from anticlerical leftists.

"There has never been a credible accusation against him," said the Rev. Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman.

On the contrary, he said, "There have been many declarations of how much he did for many people to protect them from the military dictatorship."

The charges derive from the pope's days as the provincial, or leader, of Argentina's Jesuits in the 1970s, a time of conflict in his country when the dictatorship tortured, killed or "disappeared" as many as 30,000 people.

Many of the questions have emerged from articles and books published by journalists in Argentina, drawing from documents and statements by priests and lay workers who clashed with the Rev. Jorge Mario Bergoglio before he became a bishop, a cardinal and then, on Wednesday, the pope.

Some human rights activists and authors have criticized his election, while some leftists in Argentina have defended him, as have ordinary Argentinians.

Lombardi repeated assertions by a prominent human rights campaigner in Argentina who said there had been "no compromise by Cardinal Bergoglio with the dictatorship."

Posters with the image of Pope Francis that read in Spanish “Francisco I, Argentine and Peronist” get the attention of a woman walking past Friday in Buenos Aires.

Associated Press

Posters with the image of Pope Francis that read in Spanish “Francisco I, Argentine and Peronist” get the attention of a woman walking past Friday in Buenos Aires.

Vatican defends pope against Argentina 'dirty war' allegations 03/15/13 [Last modified: Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:17am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Washington Post.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Philippines forces make gains in city under siege by ISIS-linked militants

    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces say they now control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago.

  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — Before the Rays eventually won Sunday's 6½-hour, 15-inning marathon against the Twins 8-6, they did plenty to lose it. And we need to get that out of the way first.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. South Korea military: North Korea fires unidentified projectile

    World

    SEOUL — North Korea launched a ballistic missile early today that flew 280 miles and landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone, the South Korean military and the Japanese government said.

    S. Korean President Moon Jae-in is assessing the launch.