Clear49° FULL FORECASTClear49° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram
Guest column

CASA funding losses can endanger families

Every day I read about yet another woman or child beaten or killed by a violent abuser. The effects of domestic violence on families continue to make headlines.

What doesn't make headlines is the effect of the economy on CASA — Community Action Stops Abuse — for programs that are sorely needed. We have only 30 shelter beds. When I called our crisis line, (727) 895-4912, there were 35 shelter residents and three pending. Families share beds, sleep on couches and stay longer or return to an abuser because they cannot find affordable housing or a job.

CASA faces a 26 percent cut from the United Way, a 30 percent cut in funds from the city of St. Petersburg and more than a 50 percent cut from the county. Bread-and-butter community donations are down. We eliminated seven paid positions. The leadership staff is taking furloughs, and no one received a raise. We reduced our office cleaning service by half. We always manage money carefully, use volunteers whenever possible, and depend on donated food and supplies. There's little left to cut except programs.

One vital program is CASA's Visitation Center. When separated parents fight about visiting children, and the court is concerned about the safety of the child, the court orders supervised visits at CASA.

CASA provides about 1,200 supervised visits for 80 families. About 69 percent of the families are referred by the courts because of domestic violence history. The remaining 31 percent have mental health problems, addictions and other problems. Visitation Center staffers arrange visits with each parent so parents do not fight in front of children.

CASA saves the lives of children and parents by offering a safe, fun place for children to establish a healthy relationship with their nonresidential parent in a neutral setting. A police officer keeps the peace.

CASA's Visitation Center reduces the cost of law enforcement called to settle "he-said, she-said" arguments over children. We provide peace of mind for judges who make decisions between warring parents and the safety of the child.

Pinellas County funded CASA's Visitation Center for more than 10 years. This year, reduced funds were directed to the homeless. Visitation Center funding was eliminated. We fear for the lives of children with no supervised, safe place to visit their nonresidential parents. We are afraid that parents will resume fighting in front of their children.

The CASA Visitation Center and other small, essential programs will disappear if the community does not step forward and vote with their checkbooks to keep them open. This is something positive we can do to help our community and keep children and their families safe.

Linda A. Osmundson is executive director of Community Action Stops Abuse.

CASA funding losses can endanger families 10/06/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:52pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...