Florida Voices continues success one year out
New-media start-up launches new look, adds more columnists and customers, on celebrating first anniversary
TAMPA -- New-media company Florida Voices debuted a year ago to help people keep tabs of what Florida opinion leaders are saying today, provide a platform for people to get on the public agenda and syndicate original content to Florida newspapers and websites.
A year later, Florida Voices is proud to say that:
• We are syndicating Florida-focused columns and op-eds to 39 media outlets across the state, from big metro dailies, to small-town weeklies, to online-only sites.
• Our website, www.floridavoices.com, has attracted more than 67,000 unique visitors. Quantcast confirms we are attracting our target market — movers and shakers and people who do business around state government.
• We’ve created a credible space where influence leaders want to be heard. Just last week, our Topical Breezes roundtable exclusively featured the four leaders of the Florida Senate and Florida House of Representatives, each of whom outlined what people should expect from the 2013 legislative session.
• We continue to attract hall-of-fame writers from across the state and across the political spectrum. In the last month, we’ve added: Rhonda Swan, an editorial writer for the Palm Beach Post; Ron Cunningham, retiring editorial page editor of the Gainesville Sun; Peter Schorsch, founder of SaintPetersBlog.com; Jesse Phillips, a young conservative activist in Orlando; and Linda Cunningham, editor of KeyWestWatch.com and a former award-winning editor with Gannett, Inc. They join a stable of columnists that includes two former state senators, the leader of Florida TaxWatch and journalists who once worked at the Florida Times-Union, Tampa Bay Times, Orlando Sentinel, Miami Herald and New York Times.
• Our daily email reaches more than 2000, including the leaders of Florida government, business and media.
Florida opinion-page editors, who’ve seen their staffs shrink, tell us they truly value our state syndication service.
Says Juan Vazquez, opinion page editor of the Miami Herald: "Florida Voices gives us something we can't get anywhere else -- a variety of sharp, well-informed commentary by professional writers and public policy experts who know the state's issues and care about Florida."
Says Gerry Mulligan, publisher of the Citrus County Chronicle: "Florida Voices has helped the Chronicle and its readers gain access to the comments and thoughts of some of the best opinion writers in the state.”
Says Joe Guidry, opinion page editor of The Tampa Tribune: “It consistently offers lively, thought-provoking and blessedly concise columns on Florida’s hot topics that are a welcomed alternative to standard op-ed fare.
Florida Voices was co-founded by Rosemary Goudreau, editorial page editor of the Sun Sentinel, Florida’s third-largest newspaper; and Rosemary Curtiss, former publisher of Suncoast News and general manager of the Tampa Tribune’s Pasco edition. The site is edited by Tom O’Hara, a former managing editor of the Palm Beach Post and the Plain Dealer of Cleveland.
To mark its one-year anniversary, Florida Voices launched a redesign of its homepage to better reflect the popularity of its columnists and guest-submitted op-eds. Florida Voices encourages submissions from Floridians who have something to say about the issues facing Florida.
Rosemary Curtiss, Publisher