- No tears for Helio over denied trifecta
Helio Castroneves is fine with second, especially since he took the points lead.
- Indy Lights winner bumps his way to first
Richard Antinucci rolls on after contact with his teammate.
- One series, but No. 1?
The IndyCar series won the open-wheel dispute. The unified series' giant task? Catching NASCAR.
- New rules, same Kanaan
A change in format does not alter the Brazilian's form here.
- IndyCar weighs up size issue
Many larger drivers are pleased that the IRL implemented a weight-balancing rule that brings every entrant within 1 percent of each other.
- Luhr pounces on final ALMS opportunity
A late restart first frustrates him, then gives him new life and a win.
- Matos hits Indy Lights trifecta in St. Petersburg
Raphael Matos runs his record here to a perfect 3-for-3 as he led from pole to the checkered flag Saturday.
- Lord of the wheels
For two years, Paul Drayson presided over matters of national importance in the House of Lords. Thursday afternoon, the lean, 47-year-old Brit with thick gray hair and an engaging smile held court in the Renaissance Vinoy Resort Hotel, joining marquee IndyCar names competing in Sunday's Grand Prix.
- Promoters want to stay
Grand Prix managing director Kevin Savoree will use the weekend to broach a new long-term contract with city officials.
- Indy Lights teams make Tampa Bay area home
Odessa's Team E and Palmetto's RLR/Andersen Racing will compete this season in the Indy Lights series, a developmental circuit for the Indy Racing League. Both teams have entries in this weekend's Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
- George too busy to celebrate unification
Tony George doesn't really think he broke open-wheel racing, and he's not taking credit for fixing it after the rival Champ Car series went out of business and some of its teams and race dates were folded into the IRL.
- IRL medical safety vehicle is ready to respond
Command 1, a Honda Pilot SUV medical safety vehicle carrying Dr. Michael Olinger, Dr. Terry Trammel and driver Gail Truess, is ready to get the medical crew to an emergency quickly.
- Dancing in the streets
In making 40-60-something hearts atwitter on Dancing with the Stars, Helio Castroneves went from a racer who could not dance to a dancer who raced. Now he wants to prove he's a racer who once danced.
- All IRL needs is one win by Patrick
Danica Patrick, 26, has established herself as the IRL's most reliable media generator and bullet train to the mainstream. And the league knows it.
- Rising star Long values versatility
Patrick Long is the greatest American race car driver you know nothing about.
- Video: From track to truck
- Video: Indy Lights race
- Photos: Racers and their fans (including Gov. Crist)
- Photos: Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
- Video: Narrated tour of the course (Scroll down to 'ALMS: Audi Lap of the Track: St. Petersburg Course')
- Video: Learn to drive like Helio
- Photos: A need for speed
- Photos: Friday's practice sessions
- Driver profiles, part 1 (PDF)
- Driver profiles, part 2 (PDF)
- Course map, parking (PDF)
- Ticket information (PDF)
- Attractions, last year's results (PDF)
- Indy Lights, ALMS, drifting (PDF)
- IRL gets deal with DirecTV
DirecTV's deal to become quasi-presenting sponsor of the IRL is close enough to fruition that the satellite television provider will begin its marketing effort this weekend at the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
- Grand Prix raises adrenaline of fans, foes
For every race fan eagerly anticipating the smell of burning tires, it seems there is someone crossing his fingers that the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg will miraculously disappear.
- Grand Prix, Festival of States cooperate
As the Festival of States and the Honda Grand Prix converge in St. Petersburg over the next several days, negotiating downtown will present challenges for the rest of us, but both organizations saw opportunities to cooperate with and benefit from each other.
- Open-wheel racing's year of mending
The completion of Champ Car's death spiral into bankruptcy and the IRL's move to absorb its key assets -- including several teams and three key race dates -- has provided the opportunity for mending.
- Kanaan works to rebuild Andretti chemistry
Now it's Kanaan and Danica Patrick, Marco Andretti and rookie Hideki Mutoh. Kanaan has made 82 open wheel starts in CART or the IRL in 12 seasons, with 12 wins and the 2004 championship.
- Newman/Haas/Lanigan struggles to adjust
With the Champ Car/IRL merger, the eight-time champion is on a crash course to relearn how to race ovals.
Subscribe to the Times
for daily delivery
of the Tampa Bay Times.