New state Senate map
The new map was validated by the U.S. Justice Department on May 1 after it underwent challenges from the Florida Supreme court. Click on the map below for details on how the districts performed in the 2008 and 2010 elections.
Read analysis of the plan
Find more details about the plan on the senate's site.
The earlier rejected map
In a sharp rebuke to the Florida Senate, the Florida Supreme Court ordered that chamber to redraw its political maps on March 9 to more accurately adhere to the anti-gerrymandering directive of voters but validated the House map that pits 38 incumbents against each other. Read more
PDF: The court's full decision
Learn more about the map on the Senate site
Dark gray districts were found to be unconstitutional. Click on the districts to find out why the court disapproved. Light gray districts were approved by the court.
Analysis of the Senate's proposed map
This map was struck down by the Florida Supreme court. Click on the districts to find out out more about how its districts would have leaned.
Current State Senate Districts
Based on the 2010 census, each of the 40 members of the Florida Senate will represent about 470,033 people. The map below illustrates how much each old district varies from this ideal number. Red districts are underpopulated, while green districts have more than the ideal number of constituents.
Click on each district to see more details.
Population change key
Problems viewing this map? Please download Firefox for a better browsing experience.
What districts do you live in currently?
Use MyLawmaker to find your current home district. Enter your Florida address into the box below.
Other redistricting resources
- Florida House of Representatives websites where you can draw your own districts.
- Florida Senate redistricting site also has a draw-your-own districts tool.
- 2002 redistricting: How were the current districts drawn? Visit this archived site to find out.
State redistricting committees
- Florida House of Representatives Redistricting Committee
- Florida House of Representatives Congressional Redistricting Subcommittee
- Florida House of Representatives House Redistricting Subcommittee
- Florida House of Representatives Senate Redistricting Subcommittee
- Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment
More politics coverage
- PolitiFact.com: Sorting out the truth in national politics.
- PolitiFact Florida: Fact-finding in Sunshine State politics.
- Florida politics: Recent coverage from the St. Petersburg Times and tampabay.com.
- The Buzz: Political blog of the St. Petersburg Times.
- Naked Politics: Political blog of the Miami Herald.
- Bay Buzz: Local politics from Pinellas, Hillsborough, Pasco and Hernando counties.