COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Calling it a historic moment, commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball plans to expand its video review process next season, giving managers a tool they've never had in an effort to cut back on incorrect calls.
The proposal will be voted on by the owners in November. A 75 percent vote is needed for approval, and the players union and umpires would have to agree to changes to the current system. MLB expects to use the new system in the 2014 playoffs.
The plan was met with mostly praise. "It's time to make the right decision," said the Rays' Joe Maddon, who welcomed managerial challenges, though he wasn't keen on one aspect. "I just don't like the idea that the earlier part of the game is considered less important than the latter part of the game. … We've lost games in the first inning."
Managers would be allowed one challenge over the first six innings and two from the seventh on. Challenged calls would be reviewed by a crew at MLB headquarters in New York for a final ruling. A manager could file a challenge with the crew chief or plate umpire. Only reviewable plays could be challenged.
A nonreviewable play still could be argued by managers, who could request the umpires discuss it to see if another member of the crew saw the play differently. Reviewable plays could not be argued by the manager.
Challenges not used in the first six innings would not carry over, and a manager who wins a challenge would retain it.
Braves president John Schuerholz, a replay committee member, said 89 percent of incorrect calls made in the past would be reviewable. He did not provide a list.
Phillies: RHP Roy Halladay (shoulder) went six innings in his first rehab start. He gave up three runs and six hits against Pirates minor-leaguers. He is scheduled for a bullpen session Saturday and a minor-league start Tuesday.
Royals: 2B Elliot Johnson, a former Ray, was designated for assignment to make room for INF Emilio Bonifacio, acquired from Toronto this week. Johnson hit .179 in 79 games.
Yankees: Mark Reynolds, designated for assignment by the Indians last week, agreed to a deal with the Yankees, ESPN reported. Reynolds is a right-handed bat to back up Lyle Overbay at first base and could spell Alex Rodriguez at third.
Times staff writer Marc Topkin contributed to this report.