Rays at Cubs
When/where: 2:20 today; Wrigley Field, Chicago
TV/radio: Sun Sports; 620-AM
Rays: RH Alex Cobb (7-6, 3.52)
CUBS: LH Travis Wood (7-9, 5.10)
On Cobb: Coming off so-so outing in Oakland, allowing two runs in 52/3 innings, but is 5-0, 2.72 over past seven starts. Hasn't faced Cubs. Is 7-3, 3.15 in interleague play.
On Wood: The 2013 NL All-Star hasn't won since June 15, going 0-4, 6.10 over nine starts, allowing 91 baserunners in 482/3 innings. Hasn't faced Rays. Is 3-5, 4.30 in interleague play.
Rays VS. WOOD
Logan Forsythe 0-for-4
James Loney 0-for-7
CUBS VS. COBB
None have faced
Monday: at Rangers, 8:05. Rays — LH Drew Smyly (6-10, 3.98); Rangers — RH Colby Lewis (8-8, 5.50)
Tuesday: at Rangers, 8:05. Rays — RH Jeremy Hellickson (1-1, 2.61); Rangers — RH Nick Tepesch (4-7, 4.46)
Wednesday: at Rangers, 8:05. Rays — RH Chris Archer (7-6, 3.33); Rangers — RH Miles Mikolas (1-4, 6.57)
Rays disabled list
• INF Tim Beckham, 60-day, right knee surgery, eligible to return May 29 (targeting mid August)
• OF David DeJesus, 15-day, left hand fracture, eligible July 3 (targeting mid August)
• C Ryan Hanigan, 15-day, left oblique strain, eligible July 24 (targeting mid August)
• LHP Matt Moore, 60-day, left elbow surgery (April 22), out for the season
• INF Jerry Sands, 15-day, left wrist surgery (July 22) out for season
• OF Wil Myers, 60-day, right wrist fracture, eligible July 30 (targeting mid August)
Marc Topkin, Times staff writer
The latest Sternberg creation
The new road "fauxback" uniforms the Rays will debut for today's '80s Day game against the Cubs were designed by principal owner Stuart Sternberg, who admits he was inspired by the 1978 Padres. "Pure ripoff," Sternberg said. "With a little, you know, here and there." The pants (beltless, by the way) and most of the jersey are light blue, with the sleeves, trim and socks yellow. Sternberg, who also designed the original Rays logo and the first fauxbacks, was quite pleased with his latest. "The retro uniforms I'm in love with," he said, "and clearly the rebranding and logos worked out beautifully."
But there's this …
ESPN's Keith Olbermann, who is friends with Sternberg, nevertheless named the Rays the "worst persons in the sports world" for "denying their Tampa Bay Devil Rays history" and putting "Rays" on the fauxbacks. Sternberg said "somewhere down the line" they'll do something Devil Rays-related but "not enough time has passed."