A cause for pause
With Tuesday's rainout, all Rays (and Orioles) uniformed personnel will wear No. 42 today in honor of Jackie Robinson. For some Rays, it is a particularly significant tribute:
• David Price: "It's a great day. To be able to wear that number one day a year, to signify what Jackie means to the game of baseball and just to people in general. The way he carried himself in that time period, not only on the field but off the field, it's a testament to his character. And I think it's pretty special."
• Chris Archer: "I've waited a long time to wear that number. …You can't even wear the number in the minor leagues. It's not a minor-league thing, it's exclusive to the major-leaguers. To me it means what he did for the game was he changed the game from America's pastime to a worldly pastime, or a worldly game. Not only did he open the door for black players, but he opened the door for all the Latino players, too. … I think that's something people forget about."
Rays at Orioles
When/where: 12:35 today; Camden Yards, Baltimore
TV/radio: Sun Sports; 620-AM
RAYS: RHP Jake Odorizzi (1-1, 5.73)
ORIOLES: RHP Miguel Gonzalez (0-1, 9.64)
On Odorizzi: Extra day's rest coming off a rough-looking outing in Kansas City, allowing seven runs and 10 hits over five innings. Worked 32/3 scoreless vs. O's in September 18-inning marathon.
On Gonzalez: Off to a rough start, allowing 16 hits, including four homers, in 91/3 innings over two games (Tigers, Yankees). Is 2-3, 3.94 in eight career starts vs. Rays. Not a fan of cold weather.
Rays vs. Gonzalez
Desmond Jennings 4-for-18, 3 HRs
Evan Longoria 5-for-16, HR
Ben Zobrist 2-for-19
Orioles vs. Odorizzi
Adam Jones 0-for-2
David Lough 1-for-2
Nick Markakis 1-for-1
Thursday: vs. Yankees, 7:10. Rays — LH David Price (2-0, 2.91); Yankees — CC Sabathia (1-2, 6.63)
Friday: vs. Yankees, 7:10. Rays — LH Erik Bedard (0-0, 0.00) or LH Cesar Ramos (0-1, 7.50); Yankees — RH Hiroki Kuroda (2-1, 3.86)
Saturday: vs. Yankees, 7:10. Rays — RH Chris Archer (1-1, 4.50; Yankees — RH Ivan Nova (2-1, 5.94)
Sunday: vs. Yankees, 1:40. Rays — LH Cesar Ramos (0-1, 7.50) or LH Erik Bedard (0-0, 0.00); Yankees — TBA
Rays disabled list
• INF Tim Beckham, knee surgery, 15-day, eligible April 14 (targeting post-All-Star break)
• RHP Alex Cobb, left oblique strain, 15-day, April 28
• RHP Jeremy Hellickson, right elbow surgery, eligible April 14 (targeting June 1)
• LHP Matt Moore, left elbow soreness, eligible April 23
• RHP Juan Carlos Oviedo, right elbow surgery, 15-day, April 14 (on rehab assignment)
Marc Topkin, Times staff writer
Weather quote of the day I
"Reminiscent of 2008 Philadelphia, maybe even a little bit worse."
Rays manager Joe Maddon, comparing Tuesday's conditions to the World Series mess. (A bundled-up B.J. Upton, right.)
"Great call. What took you so long?"
Maddon, on the Orioles' 5:20 p.m. decision to call off the game given the day-long rains and a forecast for more.
Here's looking at you, Tampa
It has seemed obvious that the Rays have interest in moving to Tampa, and principal owner Stuart Sternberg pretty much came out and said so Tuesday. "Tampa is obviously very, very attractive on the list, and we expect to at some point, hopefully sooner, look there as well as some other parts of the region," Sternberg told the AP at an MLB Diversity Business Summit in New York. Any exploration, though, is on hold until an agreement can be worked out with St. Petersburg officials.
Weather quote of the day II