Rays at Yankees
When/where: 1:05 today; Yankee Stadium, New York
TV/radio: Sun Sports; 620-AM, 680-AM (Spanish)
Rays: LH David Price (8-7, 3.56)
Yankees: RH A.J. Burnett (8-7, 4.12)
Watch for ...
Price check: Price, headed to his second All-Star Game, is coming off a rough outing, by his standards (four earned runs over six innings at Minnesota), the seventh time in his past 18 starts he has allowed at least four runs. He is 3-1, 3.88 vs. the Yankees.
A.J. okay: Burnett has been more consistent this season, working at least five innings in each of his 18 starts. He has pitched often, and usually well, against the Rays with a 12-8, 3.36 mark in 26 starts.
Rays vs. Burnett
Johnny Damon5-for-25, 2 HRs
Evan Longoria13-for-35, HR
B.J. Upton8-for-39, HR
Ben Zobrist6-for-24, HR
Yankees vs. Price
Derek Jeter6-for-25, HR
Alex Rodriguez5-for-23, HR
Sunday: at Yankees, 1:05. Sun Sports. Rays — James Shields (8-6, 2.47); Yankees — CC Sabathia (12-4, 2.90)
Tuesday: All-Star Game, Phoenix
Thursday: Workout at Tropicana Field
Friday: vs. Red Sox, 7:10. Sun Sports. Rays — TBA; Red Sox — TBA
Marc Topkin, Times staff writer
Rays milestone moments
With the Yankees' Derek Jeter on the verge of 3,000 hits, here are some milestone moments the Rays have been on the wrong side of:
• Randy Winn was Roger Clemens' 3,000th strikeout victim, July 5, 1998, at Toronto.
• Rolando Arrojo allowed Cal Ripken's 400th homer, Sept. 2, 1999, at Baltimore.
• Jorge Sosa allowed Frank Thomas' 400th homer, July 25, 2003, at the White Sox.
• Russ Springer allowed Vladimir Guerrero's 400th home run, Aug. 10, 2009, at the Angels.
• Jeff Niemann allowed Jeter's 2,721st hit, which tied Lou Gehrig's Yankees record, Sept. 9, 2009, at New York.