Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tampa Bay Rays retain catchers Dioner Navarro, Kelly Shoppach at deadline to tender contracts

ST. PETERSBURG — The numbers catcher Dioner Navarro put up last season were so bad the Rays were looking hard at other options. But at the right number, they were willing to give him another chance.

So when Navarro agreed Saturday night to a one-year deal for the same $2.1 million he made last season, the Rays decided they'd stick with the tandem of Navarro and newcomer Kelly Shoppach and hope both improve.

"I feel like we're a better team with both than with one guy and another guy on the market," executive vice president Andrew Friedman said.

They decided by the midnight deadline to not tender contracts to outfielder Gabe Gross, who will be replaced as the left-handed hitting reserve/platoon outfielder by Matt Joyce, and injury-plagued backup catcher Shawn Riggans. There is some interest in bringing back Riggans on a minor-league deal.

And they eliminated any question by striking one-year deals with dependable relievers Lance Cormier ($1.2 million, a solid raise from his $675,000 last season) and Randy Choate ($700,000, up from $500,000). Teams are in good position to cut such deals because they can threaten players with being non-tendered and get cost certainty by eliminating the potential of a high salary award.

All other rostered players, including arbitration eligibles Grant Balfour, Jason Bartlett, Matt Garza, J.P. Howell, B.J. Upton and Shoppach, were tendered.

The catching situation was the most curious. Navarro and Shoppach, acquired Dec. 1 from Cleveland, were coming off similarly bad years and in line for raises.

With Shoppach, who made $1.95 million while hitting .214, they were willing to proceed with arbitration a possibility. But Friedman said it was "very important" to strike a deal with Navarro, who hit .218 with a .583 OPS: "I don't think we would have gone through the process."

Their hope is that Navarro gets back close to his 2008 All-Star form. "We feel like he's capable of a lot more," Friedman said. "He's highly motivated to come out and have a good year."

Marc Topkin can be reached at topkin@sptimes.com.

Tampa Bay Rays retain catchers Dioner Navarro, Kelly Shoppach at deadline to tender contracts 12/12/09 [Last modified: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:26am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Storm routs Cleveland

    Storm

    TAMPA — Alvin Ray Jackson intercepted two passes, returning one for a touchdown, and recovered two fumbles as the Storm routed Cleveland 57-27 Saturday night in its home regular-season finale at Amalie Arena.

  2. Miscue sends Rays to another stinging loss to Rangers (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The Rays gave away DJ Kitty onesies Saturday night. Then they gave away the game.

    Rays centerfielder Mallex Smith misses a drive hit by Adrian Beltre with two outs in the sixth, allowing the tying runs to score. Beltre puts Texas ahead 4-3 when he scores after two wild pitches.
  3. Rowdies shut out Charleston

    Soccer

    ST. PETERSBURG — The Rowdies know a thing or two about stalemates, with five of their past 10 games ending in a draw.

    Rowdies in the first half during the game between Tampa Bay Rowdies and the Charleston Battery at Al Lang Field in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Saturday, Jul 22, 2017.
  4. Rays journal: Former closer Sergio Romo acquired from Dodgers

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The Rays made a move to help the bullpen Saturday night when they acquired RHP Sergio Romo, who had been designated for assignment last week by the Dodgers.

    Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Jake Odorizzi (23) throwing in the first inning of the game between the Boston Red Sox and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Friday, July 7, 2017.
  5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. backs wife's "not worth risk'' opinion on Daytona

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Saturday defended his wife's Twitter post — and blamed himself for putting her in a position where she believed she had to speak out and upset some of his fans.

    Amy Earnhardt worries about Dale Jr.’s concussions.