Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Boston punished for breaking bonus rules

NEW YORK — The Red Sox were banned from signing international amateur free agents for one year, a penalty assessed after Major League Baseball concluded the team broke rules on signing bonuses last summer.

MLB concluded the Red Sox and buscones — local trainer/representatives of the players — worked together to evade a $300,000 cap on signing bonuses to five Venezuelan prospects who were 16 at the time: RHP Cesar Gonzalez, INFs Antonio Pinero and Eduardo Torrealba, and OFs Albert Guaimaro and Simon Muzziotti.

The signing bonuses of those five were pooled with the bonuses of about 10 other players, and more than $300,000 was given to each of the five, the Associated Press reported.

Boston may not sign international amateur free agents — players under age 23 residing outside the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico — for the signing period that starts today and runs through July 1, 2017. The contracts of the five players were voided, and they were declared free agents.

The investigation was first reported by Baseball America and details of the discipline were first reported by Yahoo.

Boston was subject to the $300,000 signing bonus limit in 2015-16 because it exceeded its $1,881,700 bonus pool in 2014-15 after agreeing to a $31.5 signing bonus for Cuban INF Yoan Moncada.

The violations occurred before Dave Dombrowski was hired last August as president of baseball operations, taking over from GM Ben Cherington.

"We are not at liberty to comment on an MLB investigation," Red Sox spokesman Kevin Gregg said.

Also, Boston activated utility player Brock Holt from the disabled list.

Blue Jays: DH Edwin Encarnacion and manager John Gibbons were ejected in the first inning against the Indians. Plate umpire Vic Carapazza tossed Encarnacion for arguing a called third strike; all three Toronto batters were called out on strikes in the first,

Marlins: Manager Don Mattingly said newly acquired closer Fernando Rodney will work primarily as a setup man for A.J. Ramos in the bullpen.

Mets: 3B David Wright said he can't start rehabilitation from neck surgery until mid September, making it unlikely he will play again this year. Also, Wright said Jose Reyes' actions in a domestic-violence dispute were "horrible," but he is pleased his once and current teammate is getting a second chance with New York. Last month the Rockies released Reyes, a Met from 2003-11, after he served a 59-day domestic violence suspension.

Boston punished for breaking bonus rules 07/01/16 [Last modified: Friday, July 1, 2016 9:49pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Snell to rejoin rotation Wednesday

    Blogs

     

  2. For starters: Rays lineup vs Orioles

    Blogs

     

  3. Alex Faedo, Florida advance to face LSU in College World Series finals

    College

    OMAHA, Neb. — Alex Faedo pitched three-hit ball for 71/3 innings in a second straight strong performance against TCU, and Florida moved to the College World Series finals with a 3-0 win Saturday night.

    Florida’s Austin Langworthy scores on a single by Mike Rivera in the second inning during a 3-0 victory over TCU.
  4. Jones: Bucs need success to get national respect

    Bucs

    Tampa Bay Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the world of sports.

    No respect

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter walks the field during the second day of mandatory minicamp at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla., on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times
  5. Rays journal: Jumbo Diaz falters after getting within a strike of ending rally

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Saturday's game got away starting with a leadoff walk in the seventh inning by Rays LHP Jose Alvarado, who was brought in exclusively to face Baltimore's lefty-swinging Seth Smith.

    Rays reliever Jumbo Diaz wipes his face as he walks off the mound after the Orioles score four during the seventh inning to give them a 7-3 lead. Diaz was one strike away from working out of the jam before he allowed a two-run double and a two-run homer on back-to-back pitches.