Make us your home page

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Case against Reyes to be dropped

HONOLULU — Maui prosecutors are moving to dismiss a domestic abuse charge against suspended Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes because his wife isn't cooperating.

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Kerry Glen said she expected to file documents Wednesday to drop the case. Reyes' wife won't talk to prosecutors or return to Maui, she said.

"The complaining witness, Mr. Reyes' wife, is what we call an uncooperative witness," Glen said. "At this point, I have no other avenue for prosecution."

Reyes was scheduled to go to trial Monday. He pleaded not guilty to abusing a family or household member. David Sereno, his Maui defense attorney, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Reyes, 32, was arrested Oct. 31 at the Wailea Four Seasons Resort. According to a recording of a 911 call released by police, a hotel security guard reported the woman had injuries to her leg and scratches on her neck.

Reyes was released after posting $1,000 bail and was ordered to stay away from his wife for three days.

Reyes' wife rebuffed requests for cooperation through a Maui attorney she hired, Glen said.

Glen will ask for the case to be dropped without prejudice, meaning she'll have about two years from the date of the alleged offense to refile charges if Reyes' wife eventually cooperates.

Reyes was placed on paid leave under Major League Baseball's new domestic violence policy pending completion of the criminal proceedings.

Also, Rockies right-handed reliever Jason Motte has a shoulder strain that manager Walt Weiss said makes it "very possible" he'll miss next week's season-opening series.

TABLETS IN DUGOUTS: After allowing iPad Air 2s with restrictions in dugouts during the final two weeks of last season and the postseason under a pilot program, Major League Baseball reached a deal with Apple that gives iPad Pros to all teams this year along with a new scouting, analytics and video app called MLB Dugout. Each team's device, which can be used in dugouts and bullpens, has been customized to use the club's proprietary statistical report and advance scouting videos along with MLB's Statcast system, which launched last year.

PADRES-MARINERS TRADE: Seattle rounded out its bullpen just before the start of the season by acquiring right-hander Nick Vincent from San Diego for a player to be named.

BRAVES: Right-hander Mike Foltynewicz, who had a late start to spring training after surgery for blood clots in his shoulder, was optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett.

CARDINALS: Right-handed reliever Jordan Walden felt soreness in his pitching shoulder and said he won't be ready for the start of the season.

CUBS: Outfielder Shane Victorino was re-signed to a minor-league deal after being released.

INDIANS: Right-hander Trevor Bauer, who made 30 starts last season, will pitch out of the bullpen. Manager Terry Francona named right-handers Cody Anderson and Josh Tomlin the club's No. 4 and 5 starters behind right-handers Corey Kluber, Carlos Carrasco and Danny Salazar.

ORIOLES: Right-hander Miguel Gonzalez, who was 39-33 with a 3.82 in four seasons with Baltimore, was released.

Case against Reyes to be dropped 03/30/16 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 8:27pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2016 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours