CORAL GABLES — A day after announcing that quarterback Robert Marve would be suspended for Thursday's opener, Miami confirmed that six other players also would be suspended.
Marve, a former Plant High standout, was suspended for an incident in October in which be smashed a car mirror. The Miami Herald reported that the other players sitting out against Charleston Southern are RB Damien Berry, WR Kayne Farquharson, FB Eric Houston, LS Chris Ivory, DE Adewale Ojomo and S Randy Phillips.
Marve, a redshirt freshman who has been named the starter and is expected to play Sept. 6 in UM's game at Florida, said he only found about the suspension in the past couple of days but was okay with the decision.
"I messed up, so it's best for the team and I'm here for them," Marve said in his first comments since his suspension.
The Herald reported that all of the suspensions were believed to be for one game, but coach Randy Shannon had not spoken to the media about the topic. No reason for the other six suspensions was given.
USF: Chart surprises
TAMPA — Six days before its opener against Tennessee-Martin, USF released its official depth chart, with a few notable changes to the starting lineups.
•Sophomore Terrell McClain, who had just seven tackles last season, is listed as the starting nose tackle, ahead of sophomore Sampson Genus, the converted offensive guard who had been listed as starter entering the preseason.
• Sophomore A.J. Love, who didn't get a catch until the ninth game last season, is one of the starting receivers, moving ahead of sophomore Carlton Mitchell, who has been limited by injuries since spring drills. Redshirt freshman walk-on Jeffrey "Pookie" Wilson is listed on the second-team offense, ahead of several scholarship receivers.
• Sophomores Mike Ford and Jamar Taylor are listed as co-starters at second running back, with senior Ben Williams listed as the first starter.
• The only true freshman to crack the two-deep chart is K Maikon Bonani, listed as the backup kickoff specialist. Junior Delbert Alvarado is the starting kicker and punter, with senior Justin Teachey listed as the second option for both.
• The offensive line has five players with at least one full year's experience as a starter, with four seniors — LT Ryan Schmidt, LG Matt Huners, C Jake Griffin and RT Marc Dile — and sophomore RG Zach Hermann.
• Sophomore David Bedford, a touted junior college transfer, is not listed on the two-deep, with sophomore Craig Marshall and redshirt freshman Patrick Hampton listed as the second-team ends.
• Coach Jim Leavitt, who could not be reached for comment, stuck with last year's primary return specialists, with Marcus Edwards listed on punts and Jerome Murphy and Taurus Johnson on kickoffs.
UCF: Starting WR hurt
ORLANDO — The Orlando Sentinel reported that UCF WR Kamar Aiken, who is expected to be a starter, will miss at least four weeks with a foot injury. Coach George O'Leary said the sophomore had a stress fracture in the fifth metatarsal and had screws surgically inserted in his foot. Another receiver, Notre Dame transfer Richard Jackson, has enrolled but isn't eligible.
WOMEN'S SOCCER: Florida State's home opener against UCF, postponed twice by Tropical Storm Fay, was rescheduled again for today at 3. It was originally slated for Friday, then moved to Sunday, then postponed again as Fay dumped about 10 inches of rain in the Tallahassee area over the weekend.
Times staff writer Greg Auman contributed to this report, which used information from Times wires.