TAMPA — USF released its first game-week depth chart Monday, listing redshirt freshman Max Lang as the starting right tackle.
Incumbent starter Quinterrius Eatmon missed most of last week with concussion symptoms. But coach Skip Holtz said both are practicing and likely to play Saturday against I-AA Chattanooga.
"(Eatmon has) cleared all the tests," Holtz said. "But right now, Max is playing really well, and he's doing a nice job there. If Q will come back (to full strength), we'll have a heck of a competition going through."
Lang could start in his college debut, though Holtz said he'll wait to see how quickly Eatmon can return to form in practice this week.
"Until I see (Eatmon) put on shoulder pads and go out there and play, I've got to go with the guy that's been there for the last week," he said. "And that's Max Lang."
"I've said before, when a guy's injured and a backup goes in there, if he does a great job, he's kind of earned squatter's rights. I don't think he's going to give it up easily, and I think Q's going to compete his tail off to get it back. It's a great situation to have as a football team."
Other depth chart notes:
• USF is keeping sophomore Darrell Williams at left tackle and senior Mark Popek at left guard, liking the way the two have handled new roles.
• Redshirt freshman walk-on Mattias Ciabatti (Hillsborough High) appears to have beat out two-year starter Justin Brockhaus-Kann at punter.
• At receiver, junior Derrick Hopkins, who has barely played at USF, is listed as a starter ahead of Deonte Welch and Victor Marc. Sterling Griffin, the team's leader in receptions last season, is listed as a backup to sophomore Andre Davis.
• At running back, Demetris Murray and Marcus Shaw remain co-starters.
• Same for the neck-and-neck backup QB job, which has redshirt freshman Matt Floyd "or" junior Bobby Eveld behind senior B.J. Daniels.
USF depth chart
|QB||B.J. Daniels||Matt Floyd/Bobby Eveld|
|RB||Demetris Murray/ Marcus Shaw||Lindsey Lamar/ Willie Davis|
|WR||Andre Davis||Sterling Griffin|
|WR||Terrence Mitchell||Chris Dunkley|
|WR||Derrick Hopkins||Deonte Welch/ Victor Marc|
|TE||Andreas Shields/ Evan Landi||Sean Price/ Mike McFarland|
|LT||Darrell Williams||Damien Edwards|
|LG||Mark Popek||Lawrence Martin|
|C||Austin Reiter||Thor Jozwiak|
|RG||Danous Estenor||Brynjar Gudmundsson|
|RT||Max Lang||Quinterrius Eatmon|
|FB||Jeff Hawkins||Spencer Cavalieri/ Chris Breit|
|DE||Ryne Giddins||Eric Lee|
|DT||Luke Sager||Todd Chandler|
|DT||Cory Grissom||Elkino Watson|
|DE||Tevin Mims||Julius Forte|
|SLB||Sam Barrington||Reshard Cliett|
|MLB||Michael Lanaris||Ruben Garcia|
|WLB||DeDe Lattimore||Mike Jeune|
|CB||Kayvon Webster||Fidel Montgomery|
|SS||JaQuez Jenkins||Ernie Tabuteau|
|FS||Mark Joyce||Jon Lejiste|
|CB||George Baker||Kenneth Durden|
PK: Maikon Bonani. P: Mattias Ciabatti, Justin Brockhaus-Kann. H: Justin Brockhaus-Kann. LS: David Burdetsky. KO: Marvin Kloss. KR: Lindsey Lamar, Derrick Hopkins. PR: Terrence Mitchell