March 28, 2007: FSU learns that Brenda Monk, the Athletics Academic Support Services assistant director and learning specialist, may have inappropriately helped an athlete take an online quiz five days earlier.
April 3, 2007: Monk, also said to have typed reports for five student-athletes, is placed on administrative leave. She later resigns, effective July 5.
April 17, 2007: President T.K. Wetherell asks the Office of Audit Services to investigate.
May 14: Office of Audit Services conducts its first interview.
June 1: In a short letter, Wetherell informs athletic director Dave Hart that his contract won't be renewed when it expires in 2009, formalizing a plan he previously announced months earlier that he would re-make the athletic department. Hart eventually agrees to a buyout and leaves as of Dec. 31.
July 27, 2007: FSU's Brian Battle telephones NCAA vice president for enforcement services David Price to tell him that the school is beginning to review information concerning "potential academic irregularities," the beginning of a regular dialogue with the NCAA.
Aug. 31, 2007: Office of Audit Services conducts its final interview.
Sept. 10, 2007: Private consultant Chuck Smrt and The Compliance Group agree to help FSU with the situation. FSU had paid nearly $149,000 through May, records show.
Sept. 25, 2007: FSU releases preliminary report to the NCAA indicating that 23 student-athletes in nine sports were involved in academic misconduct that also involved a learning specialist and a student tutor. The misconduct related predominately to the athletes being given answers to online exams for an online music course. Two football players, Kevin McNeil and Joslin Shaw, are subsequently confirmed to be among the athletes.
Oct. 27, 2007: Wetherell names former FSU football player and current legislator William Proctor as his special assistant for athletics.
Dec. 18, 2007: After the scope of the investigation expanded, FSU announces "as many as 25 members" of the football team will not make the trip to Nashville for the Music City Bowl for various reasons.
Dec. 21, 2007: Wetherell releases a statement, saying that the violations focused on "a poorly structured online course, lack of attention to detail by a faculty member, and insufficient oversight by the athletic department of one rogue tutor." He said no coaches were involved.
Dec. 22, 2007: Based on the bowl media guide, 36 football players are left off the travel roster.
Dec. 31: An under-manned FSU team loses to Kentucky, 35-28.
Feb. 4, 2008: FSU names Utah State's Randy Spetman as its new athletic director.
Feb. 14, 2008: FSU releases a modified version of its self-report of rules violations that involved two Athletics Academic Support Service staff (naming Monk for the first time) and "approximately 60 student-athletes." Records show that the final number was 61. FSU said the problem was connected primarily with online testing for a single online class in the fall semester of 2006 and in the spring and summer semesters of 2007. FSU outlines corrective measures and self-imposed sanctions including scholarship reductions.
June 10, 2008: FSU receives its Notice Of Allegations from the NCAA.
June 19, 2008: Wetherell requests Oct. 18 for its hearing before the Division I Committee On Infractions.
Sept. 6, 2008: FSU football opens with 10 key players suspended. The school and the NCAA had brokered a deal where any athlete who admitted his/her involvement would be reinstated after sitting out 30 percent of his/her season. For football, that was four games (the NCAA rounds up) and most of the players began serving the suspension at the bowl.
Oct. 18, 2008: FSU officials appear before the Committee on Infractions.
March 6, 2009: Committee on Infractions publicly discloses the penalties.
Brian Landman, Times staff writer