The Largo Hulk Smash 12 and under Junior Tennis Team brought home a state championship last weekend after participating in the USTA Jr. Team Tennis ITC Invitational in Delray Beach. The team, which represents the Largo Tennis Center at the Southwest Complex, defeated the Orlando Kick Aces 36 games to 18 games to win the event.
In December, the team also played in Delray Beach for a region tournament in the intermediate bracket. By winning that tournament, the team was invited to the state tournament last week.
The players are Jake Szeszko, Jasmine Blair, Tyler McNally, Haley Shimkonis, Taylor Cook, Lauren Adams, Sasha DeSilva and Tommy Stark. They are coached by Paul Shimkonis.
• The Countryside Junior Local Tournament was held at Countryside Country Club on Feb. 26-28. The girls 18 singles winner was Anapaula Pintado, the 16 winner was Maria Zubkova, the 14 winner was Kylie Moulin, the 12 winner was Daniela Bellini and the 10 winner was Sasha Turchak. The boys 18 singles champ was Kamil Khalil, the 16 winner was Dan Stefan, the 14 winner was Parker Hayslett, the 12 winner was Luis Ortiz and the 10 winner was Gabriel Castillo-Sanchez.
• The USTA National Open for 14 year old girls singles and doubles was held at Bardmoor Country Club on Feb. 26-28. In the singles final, Jessica Ho defeated Katerina Stewart 2-6, 7-6, 6-2. In the girls doubles final, Ellie Halbauer and Sofia Kenin defeated Ashley Bongart and Victoria Olivarez 8-4.
• Marie Apudo of St. Petersburg defeated Josephine Joliff of St. Petersburg 4-1, 4-2 at the Northdale Rookie Tennis Classic in Tampa on Feb. 26 and 27. Both girls train together at Beach To Bay Tennis.
The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour held a tournament at the University of South Florida course on Feb. 26-27. In the girls 14-18 division, St. Petersburg's Shane Crutchfield finished third with a two-day score of 17-over 159. The winner was Julia McQuilken of Riverview, who shot 155. Lauren Coe of Tarpon Springs was fifth with 169.
In the boys 10-12 division, Ryan Hicks of Clearwater was second with a two-day score of 169. In the boys 15-19 division, Zach Wood of Palm Harbor tied for 11th with a score of 158. Owen Curry of Longwood won the division with a score of 2-under 140.
• The County Golf Association held a better ball tournament on Feb. 28 at Pasadena CC. Paul Battle and Greg Farrey won the regular division gross championship with 69. The senior division gross winners were Jim Hunter and Gil Day and Jim Shepherd and Sandy McBride, who shot 71s. The overall net winners were Del Gangelhoff and Len St. Pierre, who shot 60. The ladies net winners were Melody Ulen and Carolyn Murphy and Jackie McGoldbrick and Wendy Weather, who shot 65s.
The Tampa Bay Turners of St. Petersburg competed in two meets last month. On Feb. 18-20, it competed in the Presidential Classic in Kissimmee at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex. The Level 3 finished first. Winners were Mackenzie Gainer (vault, floor, all-around), Margo Sim (vault) and Abby Wilson (vault). Level 4 winners were Lexi Clinton (bars) and Haylie Gray (bars). At the Gasparilla Classic at Tropicana Field on Feb. 25-27, the Level 7 team placed first. Winners were Sami Strickler (vault, floor, all-around), Halle Goodwin (floor) and Makayla Adams (bars, beam, all-around). The Prep-Op team also finished first. Winners were Mina Kim (vault, bars, beam, all-around), Katie Boyle (vault, bars, floor, all-around) and Lauren LaPeter (vault, bars, all-around). Prep-Op Novice winners were Casey McLaughlin (floor) and Jessica Beltran (bars). Level 3 winners were Hailey Daniele (vault, floor, all-around), Mackenzie Gainer (beam) and Erin Reynolds (bars). Level 4 winner was Lexi Clinton (bars).
• Victory Gymnastic Training Center of Oldsmar also participated in the Gasparilla Classic. In Level 8, Lindsey Christianson placed first on vault, bars, beam and all-around. In Level 7, Isabel Platis placed first on vault, Sierra Herb placed first on floor, vault, bars and all-around, Shannon Fichardt placed first on bars and all-around and Raegan Gunderson placed first on floor and vault. The team placed first as a team.
• Apollo Gymnastics of Clearwater was also at the Gasparilla Classic. In the girls prep optionals, winners were Madison Blackwell (all-around, beam), Alicia Follis (vault, bars) and Kaya Susuico (all-around, vault, beam, floor). The prep optional team finished first. Level 7 winner was Morgan Auge (bars). On the boys side, the Level 3 team was first. Winners were Thomas Svoboda (all-around, floor, pommel horse, parallel bars, high bar), Preston Millhouse (vault) and Colin McCormack (vault). The Level 4 team finished first. Winners were Josh LaSpada (all-around, pommel horse, rings), Drew Hollyfield (vault), Xander Lee (rings), Jay Karlen (pommel horse), Brandon Brogan (floor), Bobby Travers (floor, vault, high bar). Level 5 winner was Alex Beckers (pommel horse).
• LaFleur's of Largo competed in the Gasparilla Classic. Prep Op winners were Kendal Mierz (floor), Eleni Psaltis (vault), Katelyn Puttick (bars, all-around) and Madison McBroom (vault, floor, all-around). Level 7 winners were Skylar Hopkins (vault, bars, all-around) and Alexa Mattessich (floor). Level 8 winners were Heidi Hepokoski (vault), Cassidy Marks (bars, beam, floor), Gina Pergolizzi (floor, all-around), Kylie Halbert (vault) and Hannah Gars (bars, beam). In Level 10, Kaitlin Green was first on bars.