Taylor Hancock of Clearwater won the Florida Junior Tour's event in Vero Beach on March 13.
Hancock shot 71-70 at Vero Beach Country Club to win the boys 16-18 division championship in a playoff over Peter Mathison of Jupiter. It was Hancock's first win in that age group.
Hancock, who attends Calvary Christian, shot 1-under 35 on the front nine of Sunday's final round. He matched that score on the back nine, good enough to tie first-round leader Mathison.
On the second hole of the playoff, Hancock hit his second shot on the par-5 to 10 feet and narrowly missed the eagle putt. His tap-in birdie, coupled with Mathison's missed birdie attempt, gave Hancock the lead.
Hancock has been off to a fast start on the Florida Junior Tour. He finished second at the Amelia National Golf Club in January and fifth at the Southwood Golf Course last month. His last win on the tour was Jan. 18, 2009, in Gainesville in the boys 13-15 division.
• The Tides women's golf association held a tournament March 15. The overall winner was Lorraine Taylor, who shot 35. The Flight A winner was Kathy Davis (40).
• A few weeks after a glow in the dark hole-in-one at Treasure Bay Golf Course in Treasure Island, it happened again. Charles Caldwell aced the 110-yard second hole using an 8-iron.
• There were two club events at Cypress Run Golf Club in Tarpon Springs recently. In the 2011 Blazer tournament, the overall champions were John Geheb and John Fischer. In the member/guest tournament, the low gross winners were Joann DellaPenna, Gail McCrea, Joyce Hurley, Patti Feldman, who shot 156. The low net winners were Sue Salhany, Cathy Forrest, Karen Levine, Nancy Feldman, who shot 120.
• The County Golf Association held a tournament March 10 at Countryside Country Club. The winners were: Paul Lokey (78, regular division gross); Tommy Windham (70, regular division net); Jim Shepherd (72, senior division gross); Pete Lehr (63, senior division net); and Sara Wold (69, ladies net).
• The women's golf association of Belleair Country Club held its three-round championship this month. The overall winner was Kiely Allen with a total gross score of 248. Class A low gross winner was JoAnn Domson with 272, and Sue Petru was second with 272 after a match of cards.
The Largo Tennis Center will be hosting Tennis Night in America on Monday from 4-6:30 p.m. Parents and kids are invited to help kick off the 2011 youth tennis season as part of the USTA's National Youth Registration Night Initiative. For more information, call 518-3125 or visit LargoTennis.com.
The Men's and Women's City Championship Tournament was held at Sunrise Lanes in St. Petersburg on March 12-13. The men's doubles winners were Steve Weyand and Jason Read, who rolled a 1578. The singles winner was Chris Ritter, who had a three-game score of 830. The all-events winner was McKenzie Jones with a score of 2392. The women's doubles winners were Penny Zglinicki and Robin Hintz with a score of 483, The singles champ was Gillian Dean (753) and the all-events winner Gillian Dean (2222).
Apollo Gymnastics' prep optional level 10 girls competed at the National Challenge in Athens, Ga., on March 11-13. The level 2-5 girls competed at the third qualifier in Port Charlotte, and the boys team competed at the state meet in Boca Raton.
At the Port Charlotte meet, Level 2 winners were Dilynn Blair (all-around, bars, beam), Anna Garufo (floor) and Ana Selky (vault). Level 3 winners were Victoria Caldera (all-around, beam), Corrine McCormick (bars), Joana Demollari (floor) and Marissa Bruno (vault). Level 4 winners were Elly Johnson (all-around, bars), Jayden LaSpada (all-around), Cassidy Millhouse (bars), Chloe Collins (all-around, vault, bars) and Sherilyn Mansfield (all-around, bars, floor). Level 5 winners were Lexi Atherholt (all-around, vault, beam, floor), Kailey Hart (all-around, bars, beam, floor) and Caitlyn Teaney (all-around, vault, floor).
At the National Challenge, prep optional winners were Meghan Bentley (bars) and Kaya Susuico (all-around, vault, bars). Level 7 winners were Morgan Auge (bars), Rachel Waag (bars) and Sophie Woodward (all-around, bars). The Level 8 winner was Lillian Zeman (vault, bars).
At the state meet, Level 4 winners were Xander Lee (all-around, parallel bars, high bar), Jay Karlen (all-around, pommel horse, parallel bars), Brandon Brogan (floor, rings), Bobby Travers (all-around, vault, parallel bars, high bar).
Rodney Page can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.