A pair of local gymnastics teams traveled to different parts of the country the past two weeks to compete in tournaments. The Apollo Gymnastics Club competed in the Princess Classic on Feb. 14-15 in Port Charlotte.
Level 2 winners were Veronica Gallo (beam, floor) and Haylee Pryor (bars).
In Level 3, Eve Spielman was first on beam. The Level 3 team placed first overall.
In Level 4, Meghan Bentley was first in all-around, bars, beam and floor. Jeana Fraser was first in all-around and Hannah Loucks was first on bars. In Level 5, Lindsey Brush won the floor exercise, Megan Mackenzie was first all-around and first on vault, Samantha Swift was first on bars and the Level 5 team won first place overall.
The Apollo boys team spent last weekend in Tallahassee for the Capital City Cup. In Level 4 age 7, Jacob Day won all-around, floor, pommel horse, rings and parallel bars. Chase Rowland was first on high bar. In Level 4 age 8, Jacob Gars was on the all-around, floor, parallel bars and high bar.
In Level 5, age 11, Christian Karstendiek won the floor exercise. In Level 5 age 12 and over, Marcus Atherholt was first all-around, first on floor, pommel horse, rings, parallel bars and high bar. And in Level 7, Cody Teaney was first all-around and in rings, vault, parallel bars and high bar.
The LaFleur's Gymnastics Club of Largo went to San Diego to compete in a meet on Feb. 21 and 22. Individual winners in Level 7 were Kylie Halbert (vault), Natalie Morrison (floor), Amber Brickey (floor), Cassidy Marks (bars) and Madison Massey (all-around). The S Level 10 individual winner was Kaitlin Green (beam, all-around).
The West Coast Women's Golf Association held a tournament at Dunedin CC on Feb. 19. Cathy Schlenk of East Lake Woodlands won the AA Flight gross championship with 79. The AA Flight net winner was Innisbrook's Barb Wellard, who shot 81.
• The SLAPS Women's golf league held a tournament at Belleview Biltmore on Feb. 19. Tricia Herrick of Belleair was the overall net winner with 67. The overall gross winner was Elaine Crawford of Belleview Biltmore, who shot 84.
• The County Golf Association held its weekly tournament on Feb. 23 at Cypress Run. The teams of Kevin Andress/Jim Fannin and Mark Thomas/Tim deLeon each shot 72 to tie in the regular gross division. The senior division gross winners were George Leone and Del Scheffler, who shot 72. The overall net championship team was Al Wingrove and Wayne Brownlee.
Seminole's Alexandra Cercone got a wild card into the $50,000 Clearwater Open and played in a qualifying match last week. Cercone was eliminated in the first match by Emily Webley-Smith, 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (7-1). The tournament final is today at the McMullen Tennis Center
• Shannon Wagner of Oldsmar won the girls 10 singles draw at the Harbour Island Athletic Club Winter Super Series in Tampa on Feb. 14-16. Wagner defeated Paige Leavy, 6-2, 6-3. Top seeds Tea Binder of Bradenton and Jessica Stefan of Pasadena won the girls 10 doubles bracket.
• Seminole Lake Country Club held the Seminole Lake Local Winter Classic on Feb. 21-23. Top seed Michael Beiler of Palm Harbor won the boys 16 singles championship. Top seed Rodrigo Contreras was the boys 14 winner, Hunter O'Brien won the boys 12 championship and Luis Sarabia was the boys 10 champion. In the girls bracket, No. 2 seed Natalie Boruk of Clearwater won the 16 singles, Isabella Zhornist of Palm Harbor was the 14 champion, Anastasha Worlds of St. Petersburg was the 12 winner and Eugenia Igumnova was the 14 winner.
• The Grandes Dames Spring Cup was held Feb. 18-22 at East Lake Woodlands CC. Trish Riddell and Linda Cassella each won two matches in the round robin women's 30 singles. Kim Cashman of Clearwater won the women's 40 singles, Brenda Carter was the women's 60 singles champion and Ria Graham was the women's 70 singles winner.
• The St. Petersburg Tennis Center Clay Court Championships were held Feb. 21-23. The men's open singles winner was Milos Koprivica, who defeated top seed Alex Bose 6-4, 0-6, 6-2. The men's 30 singles winner was Alexander Golub, the 40s winner was St. Petersburg's Matthew Litsky and the 50s winner was Jeff Davis of Treasure Island.
• Yasmin Franco of St. Petersburg teamed with Rianna Valdes at the Harry Gilbert Super Series in Daytona Beach to win the girls 14 doubles championship over Zoe Monge and Shilin Xu, 8-1.
Rodney Page can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.