Mostly Cloudy77° WeatherMostly Cloudy77° Weather

Deal nets a plea in attack on receiver

LAS VEGAS — One of two defendants pleaded guilty Friday as part of a deal with prosecutors in the robbery of former Raiders receiver Javon Walker in June 2008.

Arfat Abdo Fadel pleaded guilty to robbery, second-degree kidnapping and conspiracy in the attack that left Walker unconscious a block off of the Las Vegas Strip.

Prosecutor Joshua Tomsheck said Fadel, 32, is expected to serve at least two years and could face up to 15 in state prison at the sentencing set for June 28.

Prosecutors dropped battery and conspiracy charges along with a first-degree kidnapping count that could have gotten Fadel life in prison without parole.

The trial for Fadel's co-defendant, Deshawn Lamont Thomas, 42, is set to begin Tuesday.

Walker, 31, had offseason knee surgery before being released last month by the Raiders, who in 2008 signed the former Florida State standout to a six-year, $55 million contract that included an $11 million signing bonus.

Police allege Thomas and Fadel followed Walker while he spent a night club-hopping and gambling and talked him into getting into Fadel's black Range Rover just before 6 a.m. at the valet entrance of the Bellagio resort on the Las Vegas Strip.

Walker was found a little more than an hour later robbed and unconscious on a side street off of the Strip. Police have said Walker was hospitalized for two days with facial injuries and a concussion. He told investigators about $3,000 in cash and $100,000 worth of jewelry had been stolen.

Holmes case: The lawyer for Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes has a sworn statement from a man who admits he, not Holmes, threw a glass in the face of a woman, the Associated Press and Pittsburgh's WPXI-TV reported. A woman alleges Holmes threw the glass. Thursday, Adam Swickle said he mailed Orlando police evidence that would exonerate Holmes, but neither the TV station nor AP said if it's the statement. The State Attorney's Office has the case, but there is no timetable for a decision on if charges will be filed.

Dolphins: The case against defensive end Randy Starks has been resolved with the charges being reduced to a misdemeanor traffic violation. Court papers show Starks will pay a $219 fine and take eight hours of mandatory traffic classes. He originally faced a felony charge of aggravated battery against a police officer. Miami Beach police say Starks was driving a large truck packed with people last Memorial Day weekend when an officer came up alongside. Starks allegedly swerved slightly, striking the officer and pinning him against another vehicle. The officer wasn't injured. Starks pleaded no contest to a charge of failure to use due care.

Deal nets a plea in attack on receiver 04/09/10 [Last modified: Friday, April 9, 2010 11:32pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...