Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Dungy issues statement to clarify comments on Michael Sam

TAMPA — After a day of nationwide reaction to comments that he would not have drafted Rams rookie Michael Sam because of anticipated distractions, former Bucs coach Tony Dungy issued a statement on Tuesday in an attempt to clarify his remarks.

In a story Sunday in the Tampa Tribune, Dungy said as to whether he would've drafted Sam, who is openly gay: "I wouldn't have taken him. Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it. It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen."

Dungy's statement Tuesday did little to change the context of his quote, other than to call into question when the statement was made. According to his recollection, he made the comment in May.

Here is the statement in full, as published at profootballtalk.com.

"On Monday afternoon while on vacation with my family, I was quite surprised to read excerpts from an interview I gave several weeks ago related to this year's NFL draft, and I feel compelled to clarify those remarks.

I was asked whether I would have drafted Michael Sam, and I answered that I would not have drafted him. I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team. At the time of my interview, the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael's first season had been announced.

I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.

I have been asked all of those questions several times in the last three months and have always answered them the same way — by saying that playing in the NFL is, and should be, about merit.

The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they're good enough to play. That's my opinion as a coach. But those were not the questions I was asked.

What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams.

I do not believe Michael's sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.

I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction. Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.

I wish Michael Sam nothing but the best in his quest to become a star in the NFL, and I am confident he will get the opportunity to show what he can do on the field.

My sincere hope is that we will be able to focus on his play and not on his sexual orientation."

Sam's proposed show with Winfrey's network was canceled on May 16.

Former Bucs linebacker Derrick Brooks, who played for Dungy and is soon to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was asked about Dungy's comments Tuesday morning and said he hadn't spoken with the coach.

"I just generally feel that he's probably saying what 31 other teams were probably thinking in that regard," Brooks said. "They didn't draft him, for whatever reason. He was just saying, if he were a head coach, this is how he would have approached the situation, or approached the player's situation."

Bucs coach Lovie Smith, a former Tampa Bay assistant under Dungy, addressed his friend's comments on ESPN's Mike and Mike radio show: "Tony's a man of conviction. He says what's on his mind. I'm not going to try to critique what Tony said. I'm sure Tony would evaluate all players, and taking everything into consideration, if they can help his team win, he would take them on their team. That's how we look at it. We evaluate all the players. There are pluses and minuses for every football player."

Dungy, 58, who led the Bucs from 1996-2001, did not appear to shy away from distractions during his career. He has said repeatedly that as the defensive coordinator with the Vikings he lobbied to draft Warren Sapp in 1995 despite reports the Miami All-America defensive tackle had a positive test for marijuana at the NFL scouting combine, which eventually caused him to fall to the Bucs with the 12th overall pick.

The Vikings took Florida State defensive tackle Derrick Alexander and, one pick later, Tampa Bay selected Sapp. A year later, Dungy was hired as Bucs coach.

Dungy also traded for mercurial Jets receiver Keyshawn Johnson in 2000. Johnson, the No. 1 overall pick in 1996, gained acclaim for writing a book — titled Just Give Me the Damn Ball — after his rookie season. Dungy also traded for defensive end Simeon Rice, who made his share of headlines with the Cardinals and the Bucs with his lively takes on subjects on and off the field.

Most notably, Dungy went to bat for quarterback Michael Vick after his release from prison following his dog fighting conviction, knowing media attention would certainly follow him to Philadelphia.

Sam, whom the Rams selected in the seventh-round out of Missouri, told ESPN on Tuesday night: "Thank God he wasn't the St. Louis Rams coach. (laughs) I have a lot of respect for Coach Dungy."

Times staff writers Rick Stroud and Matt Baker contributed to this report. Contact Greg Auman at gauman@tampabay.com and at (813) 226-3346. Follow @gregauman.

Dungy issues statement to clarify comments on Michael Sam 07/22/14 [Last modified: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rays journal: Erasmo Ramirez ready to start a day after closing game

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — RHP Erasmo Ramirez was on the mound to finish Sunday's 15-inning marathon win over the Twins and will start tonight's game against the Rangers.

    The Rays’ Erasmo Ramirez throws 12 pitches in the 15th inning against the Twins to earn the save then says after the game that he’s ready to make his scheduled start against the Rangers: “My arm feels good.”
  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — Before the Rays eventually won Sunday's 6½-hour, 15-inning marathon against the Twins 8-6, they did plenty to lose it. And we need to get that out of the way first.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. Marc Topkin's takeaways from Sunday's Rays-Twins game

    The Heater

    The Rays won because they got two innings of good relief from each of the two pitchers who contributed to them losing Saturday's game, Danny Farquhar (who again struck out Miguel Sano) and Tommy Hunter, who both posted zeroes.