Make us your home page
Instagram

Get the quickest, smartest news, analysis and photos from the Bucs game emailed to you shortly after the final whistle.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Ronde Barber signs one-year deal to return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Ronde Barber had a pickoff in each of his first two games last season and three total, giving him 40 for his career.

DANIEL WALLACE | Times

Ronde Barber had a pickoff in each of his first two games last season and three total, giving him 40 for his career.

TAMPA — There are times when Ronde Barber tries to wrap his head around the fact he has been playing in the NFL since some of his Bucs teammates were in elementary school.

When those moments arrive, Barber is soon reminded that it hasn't happened by accident.

"Me and my friends kind of sit back and just shake our heads and realize that I've taken advantage of a great opportunity," the cornerback, who will be 36 in April, said Tuesday. "It has nothing to do with the (number) of years. It's the way I've played during those years. If my play wasn't good, I wouldn't be sitting here in Year 15 with a new contract."

Barber signed a one-year extension Tuesday that prevents him from becoming a free agent; his contract was set to expire next week. One of the franchise's greatest players will likely finish his career where it began.

He will be the first Buccaneer to play a 15th season with the club, surpassing Derrick Brooks (14 seasons), and it's not a given that 2011 will be a farewell tour.

The one-year contract enables Barber and the Bucs to make a wise choice at this time next year, he said. He'll have the rare opportunity to end his career on his terms.

"The decision is not, at the end of the day, 'Do they want to let go of me or do I want to let go of them?' " Barber said. "It'll be a mutually beneficial decision each year. That's kind of how it was this year and how it'll be next year.

"You have to take some pride in that, some blessings on my side where I've been able to maintain myself throughout these 14 years. I always give myself credit for that. It wasn't easy. It's not going to be easy this year. But at the end of the day, I walk out of here knowing I've done exactly what I wanted to do."

When the season ended, Barber was non-committal on his return. But he said the decision ultimately wasn't that difficult once he decided his body could endure another season and after coming away satisfied with an in-depth evaluation of his play. That, and the Bucs' 10-6 season, were major factors in his return.

"That evaluation process started right after the season," Barber said. "The tape was really good. There's some things they asked me to do that I had never done before and I did it really well. To me, it was a really good season. Obviously the numbers were better than the year before. The win column was better than the year before. I think I was a big part of that. I think (coaches) think I was. The evaluation speaks for itself. Tape doesn't lie."

While Barber played well and started 16 games, he readily admits he'll have to fend off challenges from younger players like Myron Lewis and E.J. Biggers, both drafted in the past two years. Coach Raheem Morris said last month he envisions Barber starting at right cornerback, but the Bucs have expectations for their young cornerbacks, too.

Barber's role might changes, perhaps to a full-time slot cornerback. But the franchise leader in interceptions (40) is a long way from conceding.

"If they're better than me, then perhaps my role does change," Barber said. "But for the time being, I think I'm going in as I left it. I think they'd appreciate having to beat out somebody who's better. If they're able to do that, then good for them. It's better for this football team. … They're still going to have to work at it if they're going to get on the field ahead of me."

Regardless of his role, Barber is confident he'll be a big part of a competitive team next season.

"We're still classified as a young football team, but our young guys played like veterans last year," he said. "You'd have to be excited about that. I know they are as well. I look forward to not dealing with the pressure of being a young football team next year. I think we have different challenges now.

"Nobody's going to be surprised when we play well."

Stephen F. Holder can be reached at sholder@sptimes.com.

Ronde Barber signs one-year deal to return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers 01/19/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:30pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rays journal: Erasmo Ramirez ready to start a day after closing game

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — RHP Erasmo Ramirez was on the mound to finish Sunday's 15-inning marathon win over the Twins and will start tonight's game against the Rangers.

    The Rays’ Erasmo Ramirez throws 12 pitches in the 15th inning against the Twins to earn the save then says after the game that he’s ready to make his scheduled start against the Rangers: “My arm feels good.”
  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — The Rays sure made it interesting Sunday, taking an early lead, watching their beleaguered bullpen blow it, rallying to tie in the ninth, battling the Twins to take a lead in the 14th then giving it up again.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. Marc Topkin's takeaways from Sunday's Rays-Twins game

    The Heater

    The Rays won because they got two innings of good relief from each of the two pitchers who contributed to them losing Saturday's game, Danny Farquhar (who again struck out Miguel Sano) and Tommy Hunter, who both posted zeroes.