Hunt for a Bucs head coach: Day 5
Top of the list
1. Mike Sherman: Former Packers and Texas A&M coach might be the leader in the clubhouse.
2. Jerry Gray: Titans defensive coordinator is the only other candidate known to have interviewed with the Bucs.
3. Mike Mularkey: Falcons offensive coordinator is a candidate for the Jaguars job, but the Bucs haven't asked him to interview.
On the radar
1. Perry Fewell: Giants defensive coordinator
2. Rob Chudzinski: Panthers offensive coordinator
• There appears to be one less opening as the Chiefs are prepared to remove the interim tag from Romeo Crennel's title, according to ESPN. Crennel worked under Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli in New England.
• Former Titans coach Jeff Fisher completes a visit with the Rams.
• Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin completes a visit with the Dolphins. NFL Network reports Dolphins will interview Mularkey this week.
The Bucs won't be in any hurry to hire a coach. Fisher said he will decide between the Rams and Dolphins this week, and speculation is he will choose St. Louis. Sherman and Gray aren't in high demand from other teams. Mularkey makes sense but is focused on today's playoff game against the Giants. Maybe the Bucs are waiting for a coordinator such as Fewell to end his playoff duties.
Rick Stroud, Times staff writer